XXIV International Conference on High Energy Physics pp 1447-1450 | Cite as
Experiments on Low Energy Bhabha Scattering Search for Neutral Resonances in the MeV/c2 Mass Region
In the last years, a series of experiments on low-energy Bhabha scattering was prompted by the evidence for correlated back-to-back e+e- emission, found in heavy-ion experiments [1–3]. As summarized in the previous contribution , several monoenergetic e+e- pairs, with sharp sum energies between 500 keV and 815 keV, were observed. Also reported was the detection of correlated back-to-back emission of two γ-quanta with a sum energy of 1062 keV . One is led to conclude that one deals with the decay of various excited states of a composite extended object with internal structure into e+e- or γγ-pairs. Bearing this in mind, numerous experimental groups addressed themselves to the question of whether such a hypothetical e+e- object could be created in e+e- collisions and whether it would manifest its eventual decay as a resonance in the excitation function for Bhabha scattering (or, in the excitation function for anihilation-in-flight) [6–22]. For the sake of clarity, the list of references is restricted to experimental works only, already published or submitted for publication.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.T. Cowan and J.S. Greenberg, in Physics of Strong Fields, ed. by W. Greiner, NATO ASI Ser. B, Phys. Vol. 153 (Plenum, New York, London 1987) p. IllGoogle Scholar
- 3.E. Berdermann, F. Bosch, P. Kienle, W. Koenig, C. Kozhuharov, H. Tsertos, S. Schuh-beck, S. Huchler, J. Kemmer, and A. Schröter, Monoenergetic (e+-e) pairs from heavyion collisions, preprint GSI-88-35(1988), to be publishedGoogle Scholar
- 4.H. Bokemeyer, contribution to this ConferenceGoogle Scholar
- 11.E. Lorenz, G. Mageras, U. Stiegler, I. Huszar, Contribution 342 to this Conference, to appear in Phys. Lett. BGoogle Scholar
- 14.K. Maier, E. Widmann, W. Bauer, F. Bosch, J. Briggmann, H.D. Castanjen, W. Decker, J. Diehl, G. Fabritius, B. Keyerleber, J. Major, H.E. Schaefer, A. Seeger, H. Stoll, A Study of the e+e Interaction in the MeV Region, in: Proc. of the VII Int. Conf. on e + anihilation, Gent, Belgium, Sep 1988 (World Scient.) and F. Bosch, priv. comm.Google Scholar
- 16.M. Minowa, S. Orito, M. Tsuchiaki, T. Tsukamoto, Search for Resonances in e+e → γγ Process in the Mass Region around 1.062 MeV/c2, University of Tokyo preprint UT-ICEPP-88-05 (1988), submitted to Phys. Rev. Lett.Google Scholar