XXIV International Conference on High Energy Physics pp 1216-1221 | Cite as
Tracking with Scintillating Fibres
At the end of 1987, the upgraded UA2 experiment  took its first data at the SPS pp collider. The scintillating fibre detector (SFD) [1–3] forms the outer part of a new detector, which fits inside the central calorimeter and provides tracking and electron identification. Inside the SFD are a cylindrical drift chamber, a layer of silicon pads and a transition radiation detector, which occupies half of the available radial space, leaving very little room for additional tracking and electron identification. As a result, the scintillating fibre detector was chosen as a very compact cylindrical tracking and preshower detector. The success of the construction and of the operation of this first large tracking scintillating fibre detector has stimulated new and already existing developments. After a short description of the SFD properties and performance, several issues and developments relevant to future tracking fibre detectors will be briefly reviewed. A more detailed account of the SFD performance may be found in .
KeywordsImage Intensifier Tracking Detector Track Segment Micro Channel Plate Electron Candidate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.UA2 Collaboration. C.N. Booth, Proc. 6th Topical Workshop on Proton-Antiproton Collider Physics, Aachen, 1986, eds. K. Eggert et al., (World Scientific, Singapore, 1987) 381. Proposal to improve the performance of the UA2 detector, CERN/SPSC 84-30 (1984). Proposal to improve the performance of the UA2 central detector, CERN/SPSC 84-95(1984).Google Scholar
- 3.J. Alitti et al.,DPhPE 88-06, Centre d’ Etudes Nucleases de Saclay, 91191 Gif-sur-Yvette; The Design and Construction of a Scintillating-fiber Tracking Detector, to be published in Nucl. Instr. and Meth.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Alitti et al., CERN-EP/88-126; Performance of the Scintillating Fibre Detector in the Upgraded UA2 Detector.Google Scholar
- 5.S.G. Katvars et al., Cavendish Laboratory, University of Cambridge, Cambridge; A FASTBUS Digitiser for the UA2 Scintillating Fibre Detector, submitted to Nucl. Instr. and Meth.Google Scholar
- 6.P. Destruel et al., CERN/EF 88-9; A New Scintillator with Large Stokes shift, submitted to Nucl. Instr. and Meth.Google Scholar