Methods for Assessing the Effect of Drugs on Hair and Nails
The complaint of hair loss may be related to an increased shedding rate or a decrease in the number of hairs per unit area (Rook and Dawber 1982). Apparent thinning of hair may relate to a decrease in hair numbers, in hair diameter or reduction of pigment. Microscopy or measurements will detect objective changes before the patient or physician is aware of any abnormality.
KeywordsHair Growth Human Hair Alopecia Areata Nail Plate Outer Root Sheath
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baran R, Dawber RPR (1984) Diseases of the nails and their management, 1st edn. Black-well, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Brown AC, Crounse RG (1980) Hair, trace elements and human illness. Praeger, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Gammeltoft M, Wulf HC (1980) The transmission of 12 kV Grenz rays and 29 kV X-rays through normal and diseased nails. Acta Derm Verereol (Stockh) 60:431–432Google Scholar
- Home KA, Jahoda CAB, Oliver RF (1986) Whisker growth induced by implantation of cultured vibrissa dermal papilla cells in the adult rat. J Embryol Exp Morphol 97:111–124Google Scholar
- Murad S, Hodgins MB, Simpson NB, Oliver RF, Jahoda C (1985) Androgen receptors and metabolism in cultured dermal papilla cells from human hair follicles (Abstr). Br J Dermatol 113:768Google Scholar
- Murad S, Hodgins MB, Oliver RF, Jahoda C (1986) Comparative studies of androgen receptors and metabolism in dermal papilla cells cultured from human and rat hair follicles (Abstr). J Invest Dermatol 87:158Google Scholar
- Peereboom-Wynia JDR (1981) Comparative studies of the diameters of hair shafts in an-agen and in telogen phases in male adults without alopecia and in male adults with an-drogenetic alopecia. In: Orfanos CE, Montagna W, Stuttgen G (eds) Hair research. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Rook A, Dawber R (1982) Diseases of the hair and scalp. Blackwell, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Saitoh M, Uzaka M, Sakamoto M, Kobori M (1969) Rate of hair growth. In: Montagna W, Dobson RL (eds) Hair growth. Pergamon, Oxford, pp 183–201 (Advances in biology of skin, vol 9)Google Scholar
- Sims RT, Hall T (1968) X-ray emission microanalysis of the density of hair proteins in kwashiorkor. Br J Dermatol 80:335–338Google Scholar
- Stüttgen G, Bauer E (1981) Bioavailability, skin and nail penetration of topically applied antimycotics. Mykosen 25:74–80Google Scholar
- Wright NA (1980) The kinetics of human epidermal cell populations in health and disease. In: Rook AJ, Savin JA (eds) Recent advances in dermatology 5. Livingstone, Edinburgh, pp 317–343Google Scholar