Corticotropin-Releasing Hormone and the Proopiomelanocortin-Derived Peptides in Depression
A wide range of abnormalities of the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis have been described in depressed subjects. This chapter reviews these abnormalities and attempts to synthesise them into a testable hypothesis.
KeywordsDepression Corticosteroid Dementia Cortisol Schizophrenia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berieter DA, Plotsky PM, Gann DS (1982) Tooth pulp stimulation stimulates the adrenocorticotropin response to haemorrhage in cats. Endocrinology 111: 907–909Google Scholar
- Brambilla F, Genazzani AR, Facchinetti F, Parrini D, Petraglia F, Sacchetti E, Scarone S, Gnastalla A, D’Antona N (1981) Beta-endorphin and beta-lipotrophin plasma levels in chronic schizophrenia, primary affective disorders and secondary affective disorders. Psychoneuroendocrinology 6: 321–330PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Charlton BG, Leake A, Ferrier IN, Linton EA, Lowry PJ (1986) Corticotropin-releasing factor in plasma of depressed patients and controls. Lancet i: 161–162Google Scholar
- Dallman MF, Engeland WC, McBride MH (1977) The neural regulation of compensatory adrenal growth. In: Krieger DT, Ganong WF (ed) ACTH and related peptides: structure, regulation and action. New York Academy of Sciences, New York, pp 373–392Google Scholar
- Gann DS (1979) Cortisol secretion after haemorrhage. Nephron 23:119-124 Gillies G, Grossman A (1985) The CRFs and their control: chemistry, physiology and clinical implications. Clin Endocrinol Metab 14: 821–843Google Scholar
- Hall R, Anderson J, Smart GA, Besser M (1981) Fundamentals of clinical endocrinology. Pitman, GlasgowGoogle Scholar
- Krieger DT ( 1979 a) Rhythms in CRF, ACTH and corticosteroids. In: Krieger DT (ed) Comprehensive endocrinology: endocrine rhythms. Raven, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Krieger DT ( 1979 b) Plasma ACTH and corticosteroids. In: Degroot LJ (ed) Endocrinology. Grune and Stratton, New YorkGoogle Scholar