Maximum Sustainable Yields and the Self-Renewal of Exploited Populations with Age-Dependent Vital Rates
This paper examines the relationship between two problems in the theory of harvesting self-renewing populations with age-dependent vital rates. The first problem is to find a method of harvesting such that the yield sustainable from a population is maximized. Because of the obvious practical importance of this problem, it has been the subject of many investigations (e.g., Beverton and Holt 1957; Beddington and Taylor 1973; Doubleday 1975; Reed 1980; Botsford 1981; Horwood and Whittle 1986). The second problem is to find a method of harvesting which will maximize the capacity of a population to renew itself, given that a certain minimum crop must be taken. At first sight this problem looks relatively unimportant, and it is perhaps understandable that it has received relatively little attention.
KeywordsBiomass Hull Fishing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beverton RJH, Holt SJ (1957) On the dynamics of exploited fish populations. Fish Invest London Ser II 19:1–533.Google Scholar
- Borisov VM (1978) The selective effect of fishing on the population structure of species with a long life cycle. J Ichthyol 18:896–904.Google Scholar
- Charlesworth B (1980) Evolution in age-structured populations. Univ Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Cushing DH (1966) The arctic cod. Pergamon, Oxford New York.Google Scholar
- Cushing DH, Horwood JW (1977) Development of a model of stock and recruitment. In: Steele JH (ed) Fisheries Mathematics. Academic Press, New York London, pp 21–35.Google Scholar
- Garrod DJ (1977) The North Atlantic cod. In: Gulland JA (ed) Fish population dynamics. John Wiley & Sons, New York London, pp 216–242.Google Scholar
- Garrod DJ, Jones BW (1974) Stock and recruitment relationship in the Northwest Arctic cod stock. J Con Perm Int Explor Mer 36:35–41.Google Scholar
- Gass SI (1969) Linear programming methods and applications. McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- Goodman D (1980) Demographic intervention for closely managed populations. In: Soulé ME, Wilcox BA (eds) Conservation biology. Sinauer, Sunderland, Mass, pp 171–195.Google Scholar
- Rollefsen G (1953) Observations on the cod and cod fisheries of Lofoten. Rapp P V Reun Cons Perm Int Explor Mer 136:40–47.Google Scholar
- Slobodkin LB (1968) How to be a predator. Am Zool 8:43–51.Google Scholar