Hemivariational Inequalities and Their Applications to Composite Material Structures
The behaviour of composite material structures is described by nonmonotone possibly multivalued phenomenological material laws, which have a “sawtooth” form because of the arising limit phenomena, as e.g. the cracking or crushing of one phase of the composite, the interface bonding failure, the delamination effect etc. These problems cannot be treated by the classical methods of structural analysis, which give rise to variational equality formulations. Moreover, they cannot be formulated in terms of variational inequalities due to the lack of monotonicity, but they give rise to a new type of variational expressions the hemivariational inequalities.
KeywordsVariational Inequality Hemivariational Inequality Truss Element Strain Space Composite Material Structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G.S. Holister, C. Thomas: Fibre Reinforced Materials (Elsevier, London 1966)Google Scholar
- 2.N.S. Shidharan: Elastic and Strength Properties of Continuous/Chopped Glass Fiber Hybrid Sheet Molding Compounds. Short Fiber Reinforced Composite Materials, ASTM STP 772, ed. by B.A. Sanders (ASTM, Philadelphia 1982)Google Scholar
- 3.J.G. Williams, M.D. Rhodes: Effect of Resin on Impact Damage Tolerance of Graphite/Epoxy Laminates, Proc. 6th Int.Conf. on Composite Materials, Testing and Design, ASTM STP 787, ed. by I.M. Daniel (ASTM, Philadelphia 1982)Google Scholar
- 4.M.M. Schwartz: Composite Materials Handbook (McGraw-Hill, N.York 1984)Google Scholar
- 5.C.C. Baniotopoulos, P.D. Panagiotopoulos: In Engineering Analysis of New Composites (Omega Press, London 1988)Google Scholar
- 10.P.D. Panagiotopoulos: Inequality Problems in Mechanics and Applications. Convex and Nonconvex Energy Functions (Birkhäuser Verlag, Basel, Boston 1985) Russian Transi. (MIR Publ., Moscow 1988)Google Scholar
- 11.P.D. Panagiotopoulos: In Topics in Nonsmooth Mechanics, ed. by J.J. Moreau, P.D. Panagiotopoulos, G. Strang (Birkhäuser Verlag, Basel, Boston 1988) p.75Google Scholar
- 12.P.D. Panagiotopoulos: In Nonsmooth Mechanics and Applications, ed. by J.J. Moreau, P.D. Panagiotopoulos, Springer CISM lect.notes Vol.302 (Springer, Wien, N.York)Google Scholar
- 13.Z. Naniewicz, Cz. Woźniak: Ing. Archiv 1988 (to appear)Google Scholar
- 14.Z. Naniewicz: J.Nonl.Anal.Appl. 12 (1988) (to appear)Google Scholar
- 16.J. Casey, P.M. Naghdi: In Constitutive Equations: Macro and Computational Aspects, ed. by K.J. Willam (A.S.M.E., N.York 1984) p.53Google Scholar
- 17.J. Casey, P.M. Naghdi: In Mechanics of Engineering Materials, ed. by C.S. Desai and R.H. Gallagher (J. Wiley, 1984) p.61Google Scholar