Endocrine Aspects of Sexuality in the Elderly
The interaction of categories and components of human sexual behavior is depicted in Fig.1. This scheme originated with Davidson et al. (1983). A few of his own words will elucidate. “Libido” comprises those aspects of sexuality which concern conscious experience. “Potency” encompasses those aspects which can be measured in the laboratory. The various components of sexual behavior/experience listed below the libido category are assessed through verbal report; those listed below the potency category via physical measurements.
KeywordsSexual Behavior Sexual Activity Sexual Gratification Sexual Response Plasma Testosterone Level
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baum MJ (1983) Hormonal modulation of sexuality in female primates. Bisc 33: 578–582Google Scholar
- Kaplan HS (1974) The new sex therapy. Penguin Books, MiddlesexGoogle Scholar
- Masters WH, Johnson VE (1966) Human sexual response. Little, Brown & Co, BostonGoogle Scholar
- Morrell MJ, Dixen JM, Carter CS, Davidson JM (1984) The influence of age and cycling status on sexual arousability in women. Am J Obstet Gynaec 48: 66–71Google Scholar
- Slob AK (1987) Seksuele aktiviteit van vrouwen en mannen boven 50 jaar (sexual activity of men and women over 50 years). In: Goedhard WJA, Knook DL (eds) Geriatrie Insformatorium. Stafleu/Samsom, Alphen aan den RijnGoogle Scholar
- Tsitouras PD, Martin CE, Harman SM (1983) Relationship of serum testosterone to sexual activity in healthy elderly men. J Gerontol 37: 288–293Google Scholar
- Vermeulen A, Rubens R, Verdonck L (1971 a) Testosterone secretion and metabolism in male senescence. J Clin Endocrin 34: 71–77Google Scholar
- Vermeulen A, Stoica T, Verdonck L (1971 b) The apparent free testosterone concentration, an index of androgenicity. J Clin Endocrin 33: 759–767Google Scholar
- Verwoerdt A, Pfeiffer E, Wang HS (1969 a) Sexual behavior in senescence; changes in sexual activity and interest of aging men and women. J Geriatr Psychol 2: 163–180Google Scholar
- Verwoerdt A, Pfeiffer E, Wang HS ( 1969 b) Sexual behavior in senescence. II Patterns of sexual activity and interest. Geriatrics 24: 137–154Google Scholar