Chemical Structures and Convection
- 147 Downloads
Whereas cellular patterns in driven hydrodynamic systems have been known for nearly a century /1/, the observation of organized behavior (periodic oscillations, waves,…) in complex chemical systems is much more recent. It goes back to the work of Belousov and Zhabotinsky and came as a surprise to most chemists. They were indeed at first considered as rather exotic phenomena (although they had been shown, by Glansdorff and Prigogine /2/, not to be in contradiction with basic thermodynamic principles), but it is now apparent that an increasing number of complex chemical networks may exhibit this type of behavior when functioning sufficiently far from thermal equilibrium /3/. Much effort has lately gone into the precise determination of the characteristics of the various kind of waves (fronts /4/, target patterns /5/ and spiral waves /6,7/) in order to understand the mechanism of their formation.
KeywordsMass Transfer Coefficient Bifurcation Parameter Spiral Wave Convective Motion Turing Instability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 01.H.L. Swinney and J.P. Gollub (Eds.), Hydrodynamlc Instabilities and the Transition to Turbulence (Springer, Berlin 1985)Google Scholar
- 02.P. Glansdorff and I. Prigogine, Thermodynamic Theory of Structures, Stability and Fluctuations (Wiley, NY 1971)Google Scholar
- 03.R.J. Field and M. Burger, Eds. Oscillations and Traveling Waves in Chemical Systems (Wiley, NY 1984)Google Scholar
- 11.A. Boiteux and B. Hess, Ber. Bunsenges. Phys. Chem. 84 392 (1980)Google Scholar
- 24.S.C. Müller and Th. Plesser, in ref.15 page 246Google Scholar
- 24a.S.C. Müller, Th. Plesser, B. Hess in Temporal Order, Synergetics N°29. L. Rensing and N. Jaeger Eds. (Springer, Berlin 1985)Google Scholar
- 29.M. Kagan and D. Avnir in Interfacial Phenomena: Proc. NATO ASI and EPS Summerschool and Conference on Physicochemical Hydrodynamics.Spain 1986. M.G. Velarde and B. Nichols Eds. (Plenum Press, NY to be published)Google Scholar
- 30.V. Steinberg and E. Moses in Patterns, Defects and Microstructures in Nonequili-brium Systems: NATO ASI (Series E: Applied Sciences N° 121) D. Walgraef Ed. (Martinus Nijhoff, Dordrecht 1987) C.M. Surko, P. Kolodner, A. Passner, R.W. Waiden, Physica D23 220 (1986)Google Scholar
- 32.G. Dewel, P. Borckmans, D. Walgraef in Chemical Instabilities: NATO ASI (Series C: Mathematical and Physical Sciences N° 120).G. Nicolis and F. Baras Eds. (Reidel, Dordrecht 1984)Google Scholar
- 34.J.P. Gollub and T.H. Solomon in Chaos Related Nonlinear Phenomena I. Procaccia Ed. (Plenum Press, New York 1987)Google Scholar
- 44.G. Dewel, D. Walgraef, P. Borckmans, J. Chim. Phys. 84 1335 (1987)Google Scholar