Tumor Imaging: Role of the Target Antigen
Tumor localization with monoclonal antibodies (MAbs) is fairly successful when MAbs are recognizing glycoconjugates, epitopes being variably associated with different types of surface molecules and with high molecular weight secretory products, especially mucins. It appears that extracellular pools of antigen in tumor tissue with remnants of epithelial organization offer particularly favourable conditions for MAb access. The problem of access has been adressed by using a new monoclonal anti-mucin antibody (RA-96), which shows excellent targeting properties to tissular deposits, although the target epitope is not detectable at the surface of tumor cells.
KeywordsCarbohydrate Adenocarcinoma Oncol Stratification Exter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Buraggi GL (1986) Radioimmunodetection of malignant melanoma with the 225.28S monoclonal antibody to HMW-MAA. Nucl Med 25: 220–224Google Scholar
- Dippold WG, Lloyd KO, Li LTC, Ikeda H, Oettgen HF, Old LJ (1980) Cell surface antigens of human malignant melanoma: Definition of six antigenic systems with mouse monoclonal antibodies. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 77: 6114–6118Google Scholar
- Epenetos AA, Britton KE, Mather S, Shepherd J, Granowska M, Taylor-Papadimitriou J, Nimmon CC, Durbin H, Hawkins LA, Malpas JS, Bodmer WF (1982) Targeting of Iodine-123–1abelled tumour-associated monoclonal antibodies to ovarian, breast, and gastrointestinal tumours. Lancet 999–1004Google Scholar
- Goldenberg DM, DeLand F, Kim E, Bennett S, Primus FJ, van Nagell JR, Estes N, DeSimone P, Rayburn P (1978) Use of radiolabeled antibodies to carcinoembryonic antigen for the detection and localization of diverse cancers by external photoscanning. N Engl J Med 298: 1384–1388PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Koprowski H, Steplewski Z, Mitchell K et al. (1979) Colorectal carcinoma antigens detected by hybridoma antibodies Somatic Cell Genet 5: 957–972Google Scholar
- Mach J-P, Bischof-Delaloye A, Curchod S et al. (1987)L’immunoscintigraphie par les anticorps monoclonaux radiomarque’s. Schweiz med Wschr 117:1076–1086Google Scholar
- Moshakis V, Ormerod MG, Westwood JH et al (1982) The site of binding of anti-CEA antibodies to tumour CEA in vivo: An immunochemical and autoradiographic approach. Br J Cancer 46: 18–21Google Scholar
- Rainsbury RM, Ott RJ, Westwood JH, Kalirai TS, Coombes RC, McCready VR, Neville AM, Gazet J-C (1983) Location of etastatic breast carcinoma by a monoclonal antibody chelate labelled with Indium-111. Lancet ii: 934–938Google Scholar
- Taylor-Papadimitriou J, Peterson JA, Arklie J, Burchell J, Ceriani RL, Bodmer WF (1981) Monoclonal antibodies to epithelium-specific components of the human milk fat globule membrane: Production and reaction with cells in culture. Int J Cancer 28: 17–21Google Scholar
- Ward BG, Mather SJ, Hawkins LR, Crowther ME, Shepherd JH, Granowska M, Britton KE, Slevin M (1987) Localization of radioiodine conjugated to the monoclonal antibody HMFG2 in human ovarian carcinoma: Assessment of intravenous and intraperitoneal routes of administration. Cancer Res 47: 4719–4723Google Scholar