Electron Microscopy in Childhood Tumors
The management of childhood malignancies continues to improve. There is increased survival for many tumors and in some cases patients may even be cured. However, the therapeutic regimes may have significant adverse effects resulting in a variety of psychological and physical sequelae. Accurate morphologic diagnosis is therefore mandatory before embarking on a definitive treatment course. A pa thologist today has not only to solve the basic dilemma of whether the tumor is be nign or malignant but also to assess its histogenesis and differentiation. To achieve this, he often has to employ all the available modern diagnostic techniques: electron microscopy, immunohistochemistry, cytogenetics, etc. [18, 34].
KeywordsLymphoma Sarcoma Neuroblastoma Nash Rhabdomyosarcoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 10.Berkman WA, Chowdhury L, Brow NL, Padleckas R (1983) Value of electron microscopy in cytologic diagnosis of fine-needle biopsy. Am J Roentgenol 140: 1253–1258Google Scholar
- 12.Chess Q, Hajdu SI (1986) The role of immunoperoxidase staining in diagnostic cytology. Acta Cytol (Baltimore) 30:1–7Google Scholar
- 13.Collins VP, Ivarsson B (1981) Tumor classification by electron microscopy of fine needle aspiration biopsy material. Acta Pathol Microbiol Scand [A] 89: 103–105Google Scholar
- 14.Dalquen P (1987) Immunocytochemical cytodiagnosis of tumors. In: Seifert G, Hübner K (eds) Pathology of cell receptors and tumor markers. Fisher, Stuttgart, pp 196–201Google Scholar
- 17.Domagala W, Lubinski J, Weber K, Osborn M (1986) Intermediate filament typing of tumor cells in fine needle aspirates by means of monoclonal antibodies. Acta Cytol (Baltimore) 30: 214–224Google Scholar
- 19.Hagelquist E (1978) Light and electron microscopy studies on material obtained by fine needle biopsy. Acta Otolaryngol [Suppl] (Stockh) 354: 5–75Google Scholar
- 29.Nordgren H, Akerman M (1982) Electron microscopy of fine needle aspiration biopsy from soft tissue tumors. Acta Cytol (Baltimore) 26: 179–188Google Scholar
- 32.Sehested M, Francis P, Hainau B (1983) Electron microscopy of trans-thoracic fine needle aspiration biopsies. Acta Pathol Microbiol Scand [A] 91: 457–461Google Scholar
- 34.Triche TJ, Askin FB, Kissane JM (1986) Neuroblastoma. Ewing’s sarcoma, and the differential diagnosis of small-round-blue cell tumors. In: Finegold MS (ed) Major problems in pathology: pathology of neoplasia in children and adolescents. Saunders, Philadelphia, pp 145–195Google Scholar
- 36.Us-Krašovec M, Golouh R (1983) Cytology of small round-cell tumors of childhood (Abstract). Pathol Res Pract 178: 169Google Scholar