The Use of Penile Prostheses in Impotence
Thirty years ago, Couvelaire and Herlyn used ribs or parts of the tibia to reinforce the penis (see Wagenknecht et al. 1981; Wagenknecht 1987). Between 1960 and 1970, unilateral penile prostheses were used (Pearman, Lash-Loeffler, and Tudoriu, in Wagenknecht et al. 1981). Because of the penile anatomy, these devices could not be implanted in between the corpora cavernosa, but entered one or other of the corpora. Lesions and penetration of the urethra, glans, and crura penis were frequent. Rigid double prostheses were developed in 1965 by El-Masri and in 1966 by Beheri (Wagenknecht et al. 1981; Wagenknecht 1987). Tudoriu proposed a fork-shaped Teflon prosthesis to be implanted under Buck’s fascia over the corpora cavernosa. The Small-Carrion silicone double prosthesis proved to be the most widely used penile prosthesis for more than 12 years (Carrion 1986). This prosthesis was implanted in 50000 men, with a complication rate of only 3%–5% (Carrion 1986).
KeywordsCorpus Cavernosa Penile Prosthesis Inflatable Penile Prosthesis Penile Implant Diminish Blood Flow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carrion HM (1988) Results of 50000 Small-Carrion implants. Proc Androl Symp Rome 1986 (in press).Google Scholar
- Furlow WL (1986) Implantation of the inflatable penile prosthesis Model AS 700: current results and long-term follow-up. Proceedings of the 2nd World Congress on Impotence, University Press Prague.Google Scholar
- Jonas V (1987) Development and indication of penile prosthesis in the treatment of erectile dysfunction. Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium of the Medical Academy of Vienna, Academy Press, Vienna.Google Scholar
- Schreiter F (1987) Hydraulic prostheses AMS 700 and AMS Hydroflex. Proceedings of the Symposium on Prostheses in Urology, Masson Lyon.Google Scholar
- Subrini L (1980) Treatment of impotence using penile implants. In: Forleo R, Pasini W (eds) Medical Sexology. 3. Int. Cong., Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Wagenknecht LV, Furlow WL, Auvert J (1981) Urogenital reconstruction with prostheses. Thieme, Stuttgart.Google Scholar
- Wagenknecht LV (1988) Impotenz: Pathophysiologie, Diagnostik, Therapie. Diesbach, Berlin.Google Scholar