The Binary Collision Model
The binary collision approximation is the basis of a large number of computer simulation programs. These programs treat the movement of an atom in a solid as a series of successive binary collisions. The single binary collision will be the subject of this chapter. The terms atom, particle or projectile may be used independently of the charge state of an atom. Binary collisions between atoms have been studied in the past in the field of atomic collisions in the gas phase and, for example, in the game of billiards, but there are several details that cannot be found in textbooks such as [2.1,2].
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.2L.D. Landau, E.M. Lifshitz: Mechanics, Vol.1 of Course of Theoretical Physics, 2nd ed. ( Pergamon, Oxford 1969 ) Chap. I VGoogle Scholar
- 2.7C. Lehmann: Interaction of Radiation with Solids and Elementary Defect Production ( North-Holland, Amsterdam 1965 )Google Scholar
- 2.9M.T. Robinson: “Tables of Classical Scattering Integrals”; U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, ORNL–4556 (1970)Google Scholar
- 2.10Z. Kopal: Numerical Analysis (Chapman and Hall, London 1961) pp. 367 ffGoogle Scholar
- 2.11PJ. Davis, I. Polansky: In Handbook of Mathematical Functions, ed. by M. Abramowitz, I.A. Stegun (Dover, New York 1965) Chap. 25, p. 887Google Scholar
- 2.13PJ. Davis, I. Polansky: In Handbook of Mathematical Functions, ed. by M. Abramowitz, I.A. Stegun (Dover, New York 1965) Chap. 25, p. 889Google Scholar
- 2.15M. Abramovitz: In Handbook of Mathematical Functions, ed. by M. Abramowitz, I.A. Stegun (Dover, New York 1965) Chap. 3, p. 18Google Scholar
- 2.17O.B. Firsov: Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 33, 696 (1957) [Sov. Phys.-JETP 6, 534 (1958)]Google Scholar
- 2.22H.G. Schlager, W. Eckstein: IPP-Report 9 /69, (1989)Google Scholar
- 2.23M.T. Robinson: In Sputtering by Particle Bombardment /, ed. by R. Behrisch, Topics Appl. Phys., Vol. 47 ( Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1981 ) p. 73Google Scholar
- 2.25V.E. Yurasova: In Physics of Ionized Gases, ed. by V. Vujnovic ( Institute of Phys., University of Zagreb, Yugoslavia 1974 ) p. 427Google Scholar
- 2.27D.M. Schwartz, J.O. Schiffgens, D.G. Doran, G.R. Odette, R.G. Ariyasu: In Computer Simu-lation for Materials Applications, ed. by R J. Arsenault, J.R. Beeler, Jr., J.A.Simmons (NBS, Washington, DC 1976) p. 75. See also Nucl. Metall. 20, 75 (1976)Google Scholar
- 2.33N. Bohr: Mat.-Phys. K. Dan. Vidensk. Selsk. 18, No. 8 (1948)Google Scholar