Opioid Peptides in Human Adrenal Medulla: Their Role in the Modulation of Catecholamine Secretion
Large amounts of opioid peptides (OPs), particularly those deriving from proenkephalin A, have been demonstrated in adrenal medulla of several animal species (for review see Livett 1984) and in human pheochromocytoma tissue (Sullivan et al. 1978; Giraud et al. 1982; Yoshimasa et al. 1984). Their functional role in adrenal medulla or human pheochromocytoma is still unknown, although evidence is emerging that they might modulate some adrenomedullary functions such as the release of catecholamines (CAs) (Costa et al. 1981; Saiani and Guidotti 1982; Mannelli et al. 1983; Mannelli et al. 1984; Bouloux et al. 1984).
KeywordsPlacebo HPLC Glutathione Ethylene Glycol Trypsin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Costa E, Guidotti A, Hanbauer I, Hexum T, Saiani L, Stine S, Yang HYT (1981) Regulation of acetylcholine receptors by endogenous cotransmitters: studies of adrenal medulla. Fred Proc 40: 160–165Google Scholar
- Giraud P, Castanas E, Oliver C, Conte-Devolx B, Boudouresque F, Toquet H, Orlando M, Jaquet P, Eiden L, Cesselin F, Gunz G, Trigano M (1982) Enkephalins in human pheochromocytoma. Biosynthesis and secretion. Eur Hearth J 3 (Suppl C): 19–22Google Scholar
- Mannelli M, Maggi M, De Feo ML, Cuomo S, Delitala G, Giusti G, Serio M (1984) Effect of naloxone on catecholamine plasma levels in adult men: a dose-response study. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 106: 357–361Google Scholar
- Panerai AE, Martini A, De Rosa A, Sacerdote P, Fraioli F (1983) A HPLC/RIA coupled technique for neuropeptides: its application to plasma and cerebrospinal fluid samples. Giornale Ital Chimica Clinica S8: 39–47Google Scholar
- Yoshimasa T, Nakao K, Sakamoto M, Suda M, Morii N, Ikeda Y, Ishihero T, Manno M, Homada S, Shimbo S, Mori T, Yoshimi T, Matsukura S, Imura H (1984) Demonstration and characterization of immunoreactive methionine-enkephalin, leucine-enkephalin, methionine-enkephalin-arg6- gly7-leu8 and methionine-enkephalin-arg6-phe7 in human pheochromocytoma. Acta Endocrinol 107: 261–267PubMedGoogle Scholar