Effective management of production organizations relies heavily on timely and accurate information. The continuous pressure to increase flexibility and to reduce lead times in the production stage requires a quick reaction by many decision centres. Such a quick reaction is only possible if decisions are based on up-to-date operational information and on quick exchange of information with related decision centers. The continuous pressure to decrease stocks and to increase turnover rates requires also accurate information. This is immediately evident and widely accepted for such approaches as MRP II and OPT, but on second thought it is also true for an approach such as JIT. Although JIT does not require accurate information on floor stocks it does require accurate bills-of-materials, customer orders, etc.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ANSI/X3/SPARC Study Group on Data Base Management Systems, Interim Report. FDT (ACM SIGMOD bulletin), Vol. 7, No. 2, 1975Google Scholar
- 2.Chamberlain, D. D. and Boy ce, R. F., SEQUEL: a structured English query language. In Proc. ACM SIGMOD Workshop on Data Description, Access and Control. Available from ACMGoogle Scholar
- 3.Van Griethuysen, J. J. (ed.), Concepts and Terminology for the Conceptual Schema and the Information Base, ISO/TC97/SC21 - N 197. ANSI, New York, 1985Google Scholar
- 4.Flavin, M., Fundamental Concepts of Information Modelling. Yourdon, New York, 1981Google Scholar
- 5.Tsichritzis, D. H. and Lochovsky, F. H., Data Models. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1982Google Scholar
- 6.Bachman, C. W., Data structure diagrams. Data Base (journal of ACM SIGBDP), Vol. 1, No. 2, summer 1969. Available from ACMGoogle Scholar
- 7.Date, C. J., An Introduction to Database Systems. Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., Vol. I 1985 and Vol. I I 1983Google Scholar
- 8.Codd, E. F., A relational model of data for large shared data banks. CACM, Vol. 13, No. 6, June 1970Google Scholar
- 10.Yeomans, R. W., Choudry, A. and ten Hägen, P. J. W., Design Rules for a CIM System. Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1985Google Scholar
- 11.Bertrand, J. W. M. and Wortmann, J. C., Production Control and Information Systems for Component Manufacturing Shops. Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1981Google Scholar
- 13.Weldon, J.-L., Data Base Administration. Plenum Press, New York, 1981Google Scholar