Interaction of Vegetative Nucleus and Generative Cell (Then Sperms)
Recently, since appearence of the new conception of male germ unit in pollen (Dumas et al. 1984 ), the relationship between vegetative nucleus ( VN ) and generative cell ( GC, then sperms, S ) in development of male gametophyte ( MG ) becomes more and more interesting subject for researchers. Dumas et al. (1985), McConchie et al.(1985) and Kaul et al. (1987) using computer-assisted three-dimensional reconstruction technique and light or fluorescence microscopy proved that, VN and GC or VN and S are associated structurally together in a certain developing stage (DS) of MG, while in the meantime Zhou Chang(l987) succeeded in isolation GC and S (personal communication) by artificial and enzymatic methods from pollen, but could not see any associated unit between neither VN and GC, nor VN and S. It is obvious that is due to the difference between DS of experimental materials which they used. Author has worked on culture of MG of Clivia nobilis and Amaryllis vittata in vitro for many years and observed their whole developing course (from microspore to sperms) by time-lapse cine-micrography and general cytological observations (Tang 1973), cytochemical observations on adenosine triphosphatase (ATPase) distribution (Tang 1979).
KeywordsDevelop Stage Pollen Tube Generative Cell Male Gametophyte Adenosine Triphosphatase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dumas C, Knox RB, McConchie CA, Russell SD (1984) Emerging physiological concepts in fertilization. What‘s new in plant. Physiology 15:17–20Google Scholar
- Heslop-Harrison J, Heslop-Harrison JS, Heslop-Harrison Y (1986) The comportment of the vegetative nucleus and generative cell in the pollen and pollen tubes of Helleborus foetidus L. Annals of Botany 58:1–12Google Scholar
- Kaul V, Theunis CH, Palser SF, Knox RB, Williams EG (1987) Association of the generative cell and vegetative nllcleus in pollen tubes of Rhododendron. Annals of Botany 59:227–235Google Scholar
- Tang Pei-hua (1973) Variation of generative cell and vegetative nucles in developing male gametophyte of Clivia nobilis etc. cultured in vitro. I. Results of time-lapse cine-micrography and general cytological observation. Acta Botanica Sinica 15:12–21Google Scholar
- Tang Pei-hua (1979) -- II. Cytochemical observation on adenosine triphosphatase distribution. Acta Botanica Sinica 21:107–116Google Scholar
- Tang Pei-hua, Zhu Ying-min (1985) Studies on nucleic acid and protein synthesis and development of male gametophyte of Clivia nobilis cultured in vitro. Acta Botanica Sinica 27:133–140Google Scholar
- Tang Pei-hua, Zhu Ying-min (1987a) Dynamics of newly synthesized RNA and protein diffusion from germinating pollen of Clivia nobilis cultured in vitro. Acta Botanica Sinica 29:9–13Google Scholar
- Tang Pei-hua, Liu Yi-min (1987b) The role of RNA and protein synthesized before aud after dehiscence of the anther in the development of pollen grains of Clivia nobilis. Scientia Sinica (Series B) 30:1268–1277Google Scholar
- Zhou Chang (1987) Cell-biological stlldies on artificially isolated generative cells from angiosperm. Acta Botanica Sinica 29:117–122Google Scholar