The Effect of Interferon-Alpha on the Activity of Cytotoxic Drugs in Bronchial Carcinoma Xenografts
Two human non-small cell lung cancer xenograft lines were used to study the activity of combina tions of 2 cytotoxic drugs with human alpha-2 interferon. Statistically significant potentiation of cisplatin and ifosfamide given weekly for 5 weeks in a low dose was seen when recombinant human alpha interferon (rHu IFN-alpha 2b) was administered simultaneously (2×104 U/mouse/day). Median doubling time for cisplatin treated tumours increased from 17 and 14 days to 27 and 18.5 days with the addition of interferon, whereas for ifosfamide they increased from 11.5 and 14 days to 15 and 16 days. Human alpha-2 interferon at this dose had no effect as a single agent.
KeywordsToxicity Lymphoma Leukemia Adenocarcinoma Oncol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Souhami RL: The management of advanced non-small cell carcinoma of the bronchus. In: Smyth JF (ed) The management of lung cancer. London: Edward Arnold 1984:132–149Google Scholar
- 8.Real FX, Krown SE, Krim M, Myskowski PL, Safai B and Oettgen HR: Treatment of Kaposi’s sarcoma with recombinant leukocyte A interferon. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 1984 (3): 55Google Scholar
- 10.Figlin RA and Sarna GP: Human leukocyte interferon: phase II trial in non-small cell lung cancer and adenocarcinoma of the colon/rectum. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 1983 (2): 45Google Scholar
- 11.Leavitt RD, Duffey P and Aisner J: A phase II study of recombinant leukocyte-A interferon in non-small cell carcinoma of the lung. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 1984 (3): 52Google Scholar
- 12.Ernst P, Olesen BK, Nissen MH, Hokland P, Justesen J and Hansen HH: In vivo effect of recombinant interferon alpha in patients with lung cancer. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 1984 (3): 66Google Scholar
- 22.Shorthouse AJ, Peckham MJ, Smyth JR and Steel GG: The therapeutic response of bronchial carcinoma xenografts: a direct patient-xenograft comparison. Br J Cancer 1980 (41): 142–145Google Scholar
- 24.Singh G, Renton KW and Stebbing N: Homogenous interferon from E.Coli depresses hepatic cytochrome P-450 and drug biotransformation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1982 (106): 1256–1261Google Scholar