Optical Monitoring of Electrical Activity in Hippocampal Slices Using a Voltage Sensitive Dye (RH155)
Absorption measurements were performed in CA1 of hippocampal slices using the voltage sensitive dye RH155. Absorption signals were recorded by a 10×10 photodiode array, and the distribution of optical signals was analyzed. Presynaptic components were pharmacologically separated. No influence of the dye was found on the induction and maintenance of LTP and on double pulse facilitation.
KeywordsHippocampal Slice Transient Signal Stimulus Strength Intrinsic Signal Pyramidal Cell Layer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.De Weer P, Salzberg BM (eds.) Optical methods in cell physiology (1986) Wiley-Interscience, New York.Google Scholar
- 2.Grinvald A, Hildesheim R, Gupta R, Cohen LB (1980) Biol Bull 159:484.Google Scholar
- 4.Grinvald A, Ross WN, Farber I, Saya D, Zutray A, Hildesheim R, Kuhnt U, Segal M, Kimhi Y (1980) In: Littauer (ed) Neurotransmitters and their receptors. Wiley, New York, pp 531–546.Google Scholar
- 5.Konnerth A, Obaid AL, Salzberg BM. J Physiol (in press).Google Scholar
- 7.Kuhnt U (1986) Neurosci Lett Suppl 26:S535.Google Scholar
- 10.RH155 is now commercially available as NK3041 from Nippon Kankoh-Shikiso Kenkyusho Co, Ltd., 2–3, Shimoishii 1-chome, Okayama 700, Japan.Google Scholar