Molecular Aspects of the Rat Nerve Growth Factor Receptor
The role of nerve growth factor (NGF) in the development, maintenance, and regrowth (after injury) of sympathetic and some sensory neurons is well documented (Vale and Shooter 1987, Oppenheim 1981, Levi-Montalcini and Angeletti 1968). perhaps this is most strikingly demonstrated by the ability of NGF antibodies to prevent the development of sympathetic neurons when injected into newborn rats (Levi-Montalcini and Angeletti, 1966) or of some sensory neurons when introduced into the fetus (Johnson et al. 1980). More recently, the discovery of NGF in certain cholinergic systems in the brain suggests a similar role for NGF in specific CNS neurons (Korsching et al. 1985).
KeywordsCodon Cysteine Sarcoma Trypsin Choline
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Buck CR, Chao MV, Martinez HJ, Black IB (1986) Selective expression of the nerve growth factor receptor gene in vivo. Neuroscience Abst 111.2:391.Google Scholar
- Darling TL, Petrides PE, Beguin E, Frey P, Shooter EM (1983) The biosynthesis and processing of proteins in the mouse 7S nerve growth factor complex. Cold Spring Harbor Symp. Quant. Biol 48: 427–434.Google Scholar
- Heumann R, Schwab M, Merkl R, Thoenen H (1984) Nerve growth factor - mediated induction of choline acetyltransferase in PC12 cells: Evaluat ion of the site of action of nerve growth factor and the involvement of lysosomal degradation products of nerve growth factor. J. Neuroscience 4: 3039–3050.Google Scholar
- Korsching S, Thoenen H (1985) Treatment with 6–hydroxydopamine and colchicine decreases nerve growth factor levels in sympathetic ganglia and increases them in corresponding target tissues. J. Neuroscience 5: 1058–1061.Google Scholar
- Layer PG, Shooter EM (1973) Binding and degradation of nerve growth factor by PC12 pheochromocytoma cells. J Biol Chem 258: 3012–3018.Google Scholar
- Oppenheim RW (1981) Neuronal cell death and some related phenomena during neurogenesis: A selective historical review and progress report. In Studies In Developmental Biology (ed WM Cowan) New York, Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 74–133.Google Scholar
- Seeley PJ, Keith CH, Shelanski ML, Greene LA (1983) Pressure microinjection of nerve growth factor and anti-nerve growth factor into the nucleus and cytoplasm: Lack of effects on neurite outgrowth from pheochromocytoma cells. J. Neuroscience 3: 1488–1494.Google Scholar
- Shooter EM, Yankner BA, Landreth GE, Sutter A (1981) Recent Prog Hormone Res. Biosynthesis and Mechanism of action of nerve growth factor. 37: 417–446.Google Scholar
- Vale RD, Chandler CE, Sutter A, Shooter EM (1983) The binding and internalization of nerve growth factor. In Receptors and Recognition, edited by P Cuatrecasas and MF Greaves, London: Chapman and Hall, pp. 83–119.Google Scholar
- Vale RD, Shooter EM (1987) Nerve Growth Factor. In Cowan WM (ed) Handbook of Physiology. Baltimore Waverly Press, in press.Google Scholar