Towards Cognitive Immunology : G.O.D. is Infinite
The meeting in Immunosemiotics was a rare opportunity to take a fresh look into immunological problems. It was possible, for instance, to define them as cognitive problems -i.e.: problems involving the interpretation, computation and generation of knowledge. It is true that only in a few moments during the meeting this possibility was clearly brought forth; but a few important statements were made in this direction, and I will use this contribution to reinforce this view. This will be an effort of the so trancisco Varela has called “… the difficult-process of addressing foundational issues at an unreceptive time.”(1). And this will be so because we live in a tradition which, although usually invisible, influences our ways of delineating problems and our criteria of validation of hypotheses and results.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Varela, F.J. (1986) Experimental epistemology:Background and future. In Cognition et Complexité,Cahiers du CREA 9: 107–122Google Scholar
- 2.Jerne, N.K. (1974) Towards a network theory of the immune system Ann. immunol (Paris) 125C: 373–395.Google Scholar
- 3.Jerne, N.K. (1976) The immune system: a web of V-domains. Harvey Lectures 70:93–110.Google Scholar
- 4.Vaz, N.M. and Varela, F.J. (1978) Self and nonSense:an organismcentered approach to immunology. Med. Hypotheses :231–257.Google Scholar
- 5.Piaget, J. (1967) Biologie et Connaissance, Gallimard, Paris.Google Scholar
- 6.Piaget, J. (1976) Comportement:Moteur de l’Evolution, Gallimard, Paris.Google Scholar
- 8.Inman, J.K. (1978) The antibody-combining region:speculations on the hypothesis of general multispecificity. In G.A. Bell, A.S. Perelson,and G.H. Pimbley,eds. Theoretical Immunology, Marcel Dekker, New York, p 243–278.Google Scholar
- 9.Maturana, H.R. and Varela, F.J. (1980) Autopoiesis and Cognition: The realization of the Living. Reidel, Amsterdan.Google Scholar
- 10.Varela, F.J. (1979) Principles of Biological Autonomy. Elsevier, North-Holland, Amsterdan.Google Scholar
- 11.Maturana, H.R.and Varela, F.J. (1987) The tree of knowledge: the biological basis of human uderstanding. New Science Library, Boston.Google Scholar
- 14.Varela,F.J.(1987) this volume.Google Scholar
- 15.Martinez, C.-A., Marcos, M.A.R., Pereira, P. Marquez, C. Toribio, M. Cazenave, P.-A.and Coutinho, A. (1987) Turning (Ir-gene) lowresponders in high-responders by antibody manipulation of the developing immune system. J. Exp.Med. (in press)Google Scholar