Towards Cognitive Immunology : G.O.D. is Infinite
The meeting in Immunosemiotics was a rare opportunity to take a fresh look into immunological problems. It was possible, for instance, to define them as cognitive problems -i.e.: problems involving the interpretation, computation and generation of knowledge. It is true that only in a few moments during the meeting this possibility was clearly brought forth; but a few important statements were made in this direction, and I will use this contribution to reinforce this view. This will be an effort of the so trancisco Varela has called “… the difficult-process of addressing foundational issues at an unreceptive time.”(1). And this will be so because we live in a tradition which, although usually invisible, influences our ways of delineating problems and our criteria of validation of hypotheses and results.
KeywordsInternal Image Specific Lymphocyte Network Idea External Image Foundational Issue
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Varela, F.J. (1986) Experimental epistemology:Background and future. In Cognition et Complexité,Cahiers du CREA 9: 107–122Google Scholar
- 2.Jerne, N.K. (1974) Towards a network theory of the immune system Ann. immunol (Paris) 125C: 373–395.Google Scholar
- 3.Jerne, N.K. (1976) The immune system: a web of V-domains. Harvey Lectures 70:93–110.Google Scholar
- 4.Vaz, N.M. and Varela, F.J. (1978) Self and nonSense:an organismcentered approach to immunology. Med. Hypotheses :231–257.Google Scholar
- 5.Piaget, J. (1967) Biologie et Connaissance, Gallimard, Paris.Google Scholar
- 6.Piaget, J. (1976) Comportement:Moteur de l’Evolution, Gallimard, Paris.Google Scholar
- 8.Inman, J.K. (1978) The antibody-combining region:speculations on the hypothesis of general multispecificity. In G.A. Bell, A.S. Perelson,and G.H. Pimbley,eds. Theoretical Immunology, Marcel Dekker, New York, p 243–278.Google Scholar
- 9.Maturana, H.R. and Varela, F.J. (1980) Autopoiesis and Cognition: The realization of the Living. Reidel, Amsterdan.Google Scholar
- 10.Varela, F.J. (1979) Principles of Biological Autonomy. Elsevier, North-Holland, Amsterdan.Google Scholar
- 11.Maturana, H.R.and Varela, F.J. (1987) The tree of knowledge: the biological basis of human uderstanding. New Science Library, Boston.Google Scholar
- 14.Varela,F.J.(1987) this volume.Google Scholar
- 15.Martinez, C.-A., Marcos, M.A.R., Pereira, P. Marquez, C. Toribio, M. Cazenave, P.-A.and Coutinho, A. (1987) Turning (Ir-gene) lowresponders in high-responders by antibody manipulation of the developing immune system. J. Exp.Med. (in press)Google Scholar