Nephrotoxicity of Antitumoral Agents
The new concept of cancer as a systemic disease has led to the use of adjuvant chemotherapy. Indeed, in many cancers, asymptomatic metastatic dissemination occurs in early stages of the disease and the aim of early adjuvant chemotherapy is to prevent poor subsequent evolution. The rapid development of chemotherapy has led to the common use of more than 50 drugs, many of them in association. Side-effects of these antitumoral agents are numerous. Physicians were first preoccupied with the digestive and myelodepressive effects and little attention was paid to drug-induced nephrotoxicity. Only few and recent data on the nephrotoxicity of antitumoral agents will be discussed here. The reader may consult reviews on this subject recently published (Fillastre et al. 1987; Raymond 1984; Weiss and Poster 1982).
KeywordsPsoriasis Proteinuria Carboplatin Biotransformation Inulin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Campbell AB, Kaiman SM, Jacobs C (1983) Plasma platinum levels: relationship to cisplatin dose and nephrotoxicity. Cancer Treat Resp 67:169–174Google Scholar
- Favre R, Pignon T, Lena N, Cano JP, Carcassonne Y (1983) Maîtrise de la toxicité du methotrexate à forte dose par la surveillance pharmacocinétique. Nouv Presse Med 12:2400–2403Google Scholar
- Fulastre JP, Viotte G, Morin JP, Moulin B (1987) Néphrotoxicité des agents antitumoraux. In: Crosnier J, Funck-Brentano JL, Bach JF, Grünfeld JP (eds) Actualités néphrologiques de l’hôpital Necker, vol 1. Flammarion, Paris, pp 161–200Google Scholar
- Levi J, Jacobs C, Mc Tigue M, Weiner MM (1978) Effects of cis-diamminedichloroplatinum on renal sulfhydryl groups. Kidney Int 14:728Google Scholar
- Nechay BR, Neldon SL (1984) Characteristics of inhibitions of human renal adenosine triphosphatases by cisplatin and chloroplatinic acid. Cancer Treat Resp 68:1135–1141Google Scholar
- Raymond JR (1984) Nephrotoxicities of antineoplastic and immunosuppressive agents. In Current problems in cancer Vol 8, Year Book Med Publ Chicago, pp 5–24Google Scholar
- Simmons CF, Humes HD (1979) Inhibitory effects of cis-diamminedichloroplatinum (cis P) on renal cortical mitochondrial respiration: a primary pathogenic event in cis-P-nephrotoxicity. Kidney Int 16:862Google Scholar