Initiation of Human Parturition
Several thorough reviews of human parturition, each emphasising a particular viewpoint, have been published recently (Fuchs and Fuchs 1984; Liggins 1984; Thor-burn 1985; Casey and MacDonald 1986) and it is not the present intention to attempt a further comprehensive review. Rather, consideration will be given to new developments that may bring together seemingly unrelated previous observations into a coherent hypothesis.
KeywordsArachidonic Acid Amniotic Fluid Oxytocin Receptor Human Amniotic Fluid Human Parturition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Casey ML, MacDonald PC (1986) Initiation of labor in women. In: Huszar G (ed) The physiology and biochemistry of the uterus in pregnancy and labor. CRC Press, Boca Raton, p155Google Scholar
- Khanna NC, Masaaki T, Waisman DM (1986) Biochem Biophys Res Commun 547–554Google Scholar
- Liggins GC, Fairclough RJ, Grieves SA, Forster CS, Knox BS (1977) Parturition in the sheep. In: Knight J, O’Connor M (eds) The fetus and birth. Ciba Found Symp 47: 5Google Scholar
- Liggins GC (1984) The paracrine system controlling human parturition. In: Jaffe RB, Dell’Aqua S (eds) The endocrine physiology of pregnancy and the peripartal period. Raven, New York, p 205Google Scholar
- Manzai M, Liggins GC (1984) Inhibitory effects of dispersed amnion cells on production rates of prostaglandin E and F by endometrial cells. Prostaglandins 28: 297–307Google Scholar
- Mitchell MD, Casey ML (1984) Role of growth factors in PGE2 formation in human amnion cells in monolayer culture. Proc Soc Gynecol Invest, p 33Google Scholar
- Niesert S, Christopherson W, Korte K (1987) Prostaglandin E2 9-keto-reductase activity in human decidua vera tissue. Am J Obstet Gynecol (in press)Google Scholar
- Soloff MS (1985) Oxytocin receptors and mechanisms of oxytocin action. In: Amico JA and Robinson AG (eds) Oxytocin: clinical and laboratory studies. Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam, p 259Google Scholar
- Thorburn GD (1985) Prostaglandins and the regulation of myometrial activity: a working model. In: Jones CT and Nathanielsz PW (eds) The physiological development of the fetus and newborn. Academic, London, p 381Google Scholar
- Wilson T, Liggins GC, Joe L (1987) Purification from incubated chorion of a phospholipase A2 inhibitor active before but not after the onset of labor. Biochem Biophys Acta (submitted)Google Scholar