Coherent Neutrino-Nucleus Elastic Scattering in Ultralow-Temperature Calorimetric Detectors
We speculate on the measurement of the coherent forward peak in the neutrino-nucleus elastic scattering, using ultralow-temperature calorimetric techniques for the determination of the recoil energies down to below 1 keV. The detector would consist of an array of relatively large single crystal calorimeters made of various elements and compounds, cooled to below 100 mK temperature. The detector should be surrounded by veto track detectors for the elimination of the background events due to cosmic rays and neutrons and charged beam particles. The coherent event rate for some existing or projected neutrino beams and sources is calculated for a Ge detector.
KeywordsWelding Cage Helium Coherence GaAs
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.T.O. Niinikoski and F. Udo, NP Internal Report 74–6, 1974Google Scholar
- 3.T.O. Niinikoski, Cosmic-ray disturbances in thermometry and refrigeration, in Liquid and Solid Helium, Halsted (New York 1975) pp. 145–147.Google Scholar
- 7.A. Alessandrello et al., Proc. Pisa Conference on New Particle Detectors, 1986 (to be published)Google Scholar
- 8.D. McCammon, M. Juda, J. Zhang, R.L. Kelley, S.H. Moseley and A.E. Szymkowiak, Proc. IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium, San Francisco 1985 (IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci., to appear).Google Scholar
- 10.J. Bemabeu, CERN Report TH.2073-CERN, 8 September 1975.Google Scholar
- 11.G.J. Gounaris and J.D. Vergados, Neutrino-Nucleus Reactions and the Structure of Neutral Currents, Univ. loannina Report (1977).Google Scholar
- 12.R. Herman and R. Hofstadter, High-Energy Electron Scattering Tables, Stanford Univ. Press (Stanford 1960).Google Scholar
- 14.T.O. Niinikoski and A. Rijllart, Data acquisition and analysis of calorimetric signals, in these Proceedings.Google Scholar
- 15.V. Zacek, Private communication.Google Scholar
- 16.P. Fayet, Proc. XVII Rencontre de Moriond, Les Arcs 1982, Ed. J. Tran Thanh Van (Editions Frontieres, Gif-sur- Yvette 1982) Vol.1 p. 483.Google Scholar