Histological Analysis of Cottontail Rabbit Papilloma Virus-Induced Papillomas Treated with Hematoporphyrin Photodynamic Therapy
Our findings of papilloma regression following treatment with HPD-PDT have been reported recently (Shikowitz et.al., 1986). HPD has been shown to localize selectively in rapidly growing tissue such as malignancies and papillomas. Henderson et.al. (1980) demonstrated the ability of HPD to localize in both squamous cell carcinomas and chemically induced papillomas raised on the shaved backs of Swiss white mice by painting with 9,10-dimethyl-1,2-benzanthracene and croton oil. This prompted our initial investigation into the possible efficacy of HPD-PDT for the treatment of virally induced papilloma disease, utilizing CRPV as a model system. We successfully treated large cutaneous rabbit papillomas with intravenous administration of HPD followed by activation with light at 630 nm from an Argon pump dye laser. Two animals were maintained for 18 months following treatment. The animals were sacrificed and biopsies were taken from totally regressed papillomas, partially regressed papillomas, untreated papillomas and normal skin. The histological analysis with molecular analysis confirmation form the basis of this report.
KeywordsSouthern Blot Verrucous Carcinoma Recurrent Respiratory papiLLomatosis LaryngeaL papiLLoma Island Jewish Medical
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brandsma, J.L., B.M. Steinberg, A.L. Abramson, and B. Winkler. 1986. Human papillomavirus sequences are found in verrucous carcinoma of the larynx. Cancer Res. 46:2185Google Scholar
- Dougherty, T.J., G.B. Grindey, R. Fiel, K.R. Weishaupt, and D.G. Boyle. 1975. Photoradiation therapy. II. Cure of animal tumors with hematoporphyrin and light. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 55:115.Google Scholar
- Dougherty, T.J., J.E. Kaufman, B. Goldfarb, K.R. Weishaupt, D. Boyle, and A. Mittleman. 1978. Photoradiation therapy for the treatment of malignant tumor. Cancer Res. 38:2628.Google Scholar
- Henderson, R.W., G.S. Christie, P.S. Clezy, and J. Lineman. Hematoporphyrin diacetate: A probe to distinguish malignant from normal tissue by selective fluorescence. Br. J. Exp. Pathol. 61:345.Google Scholar
- Jesionek, A. and V.H. Tappeiner. 1903. Zur behandlung der hautcarcinome met fluoresciecen-den Stoffen. Muench. Med. Wochenschr. 47:2042.Google Scholar
- Stevens, J.G. and F.O. Wettstein. 1979. Multiple copies of Shope virus DNA are present in cells of benign and malignant non-virus-producing neoplasms. J. Virol. 30:891.Google Scholar
- Strong, M.S., C.W. Vaughn, G.B. Healy, and S.R. Cooperband. 1979. Recurrent respiratory papillomatosis: Management with the CO2 laser. Ann. Otol. Rhinol. Laryngol. 88:192.Google Scholar