The management of end stage renal disease (ESRD) has a major socioeconomic impact upon health care delivery in the Western world. Between 30 and 79 new cases per million population are accepted annually for care [1–3], this almost certainly reflecting an underestimate of the incidence of ESRD within the population . Direct costs of such support have risen dramatically within the past decade, such that the expenditure on this therapy alone now exceeds 2 billion dollars annually in the United States.
KeywordsRenal Transplantation Graft Survival Organ Donation Organ Retrieval Financial Disincentive
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kramer P, Broyer M, Brunner FP et al (1984) In: Davison AM (ed) Combined report on regular dialysis and transplantation in Europe XIV, 1983, vol 21Google Scholar
- 2.Posen G A (1984) All patients and facilities. Canadian renal failure register. The Kidney Foundation of Canada, p 5Google Scholar
- 4.Vital Statistics of the United States, vol 2, mortality part A (1965, 1966,1968)Google Scholar
- 5.Keown PA, Stiller CR (1986) Control of rejection of transplanted organs. In: Stollerman GH (ed) Advances in internal medicine. Yearbook Medical, Chicago, pp 17–46Google Scholar
- 6.Keown PA, Stiller CR, Wallace AC (1986) The nephrotoxicity of cyclosporine A. Kidney transplant rejection: diagnosis and treatment. Dekker, New York, pp 423–457Google Scholar
- 8.Sinclair NR, Jeffery JR, Keown PA, Stiller CR (1986) Risk factors and HLA Matching in renal transplantation using cyclosporine therapy. Transplant Proc (to be published)Google Scholar
- 10.Robinette MA, Marshall WJ, Arbus GS et al (1985) The donation process. Transplant Proc XVII:45Google Scholar
- 12.Carlson D, Hellerstedt W, Anderson J et al (1985) Kidney donor candidacy study. Transplant Proc XVII: 99Google Scholar
- 13.Cardella CJ, DeVeber GA, Hollenberg C et al (1985) Donor identification. Transplant Proc XVII, 35Google Scholar
- 16.Robinette MA, Stiller CR (1985) Summary of task force recommendations. Transplant Proc XVII: 13Google Scholar
- 17.Keown PA, Stiller CR (1986) Dialysis or transplantation: an integrated approach to Management of end stage kidney disease. Kidney Int (to be published)Google Scholar