The gastrointestinal tract is the largest endocrine organ in man. It was also the first to be investigated as endocrinology was founded in 1902 with the discovery by Bayliss and Starling of secretin and its mode of action. In spite of this the gastrointestinal tract has been treated with reluctance by clinical endocrinologists. The main reasons are the complex biology of gut hormones and the few gastrointestinal diseases which are of pure endocrinological origin. In the following chapter some basic aspects of the biology of gut hormones will be summarised prior to considering the clinical oncology.
KeywordsFatigue Ozone Adenoma Catecholamine Statin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bayliss WM, Starling EH (1902) The mechanism of pancreatic secretion. J Physiol (Lond) 28: 325–353Google Scholar
- Christiansen LA, Nielsen OV, Stadil F, Stage JG (1978) Delay in the diagnosis of insulinomas. Scand J Gastroent [Suppl 53] 14: 15–18Google Scholar
- Creutzfeldt W, Arnold R, Frerihs H (1978) Insulinomas and gastrinomas. In: Bloom SR (ed) Gut hormones. Livingstone, New York, pp 589–599Google Scholar
- Larsson L-I (1978) Classification of pancreatic endocrine tumours. Scand J Gastroenterol [Suppl 53] 14: 15–18Google Scholar
- Madsen B (1979) Angiographic localization of B-cell tumours. Scand J Gastroenterol [Suppl 53] 14: 101–109Google Scholar
- McCarty DM (1978) Report on the United States’ experience with cimetidine in Zollinger-Ellison syndrome and other hypersecretory states. Gastroenterology 74: 453–458Google Scholar
- Neville AM, O’Hare MJ (1982 a) The distinction between benign and malignant adrenocortical tumors causing Cush-ing’s and/or the adrenogenital syndromes: structure and functional criteria. In: Neville AM, O’Hare MJ (eds) The human adrenalcortex. Springer Berlin Heidelberg New York, pp 186–201Google Scholar
- Percarpio B, Knowlton AC (1976) Radiation therapy of adrenal cortical carcinoma. Acta Radiol [Ther] (Stockh) 15: 288Google Scholar
- Seyer-Hansen K, Lundbaek K (1979) The clinical diagnosis of insulinomas. Scand J Gastroenterol [Suppl 53] 14:39–42Google Scholar
- Stadil F (1980) Gastrinomas. In: Glass GBJ (ed) Gastrointestinal hormones. Raven, New YorkGoogle Scholar