Cancer of the testis is a relatively rare disease, but it was the commonest cause of cancer death in young adults until a few decades ago. Nowadays cancer of the testis is a potentially curable disease. This dramatic improvement started in the 1950s with a better knowledge of pathology and natural history, which led to an accurate use of surgery and radiotherapy. This improvement exploded in the 1970s with more sophisticated staging techniques and the introduction of cis-platinum combination chemotherapy.
KeywordsClin Oncol Testicular Cancer Embryonal Carcinoma Germ Cell Cancer Retroperitoneal Lymphadenectomy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bosl GA, Geller NL, Cirrincione C et al. (1983) Multivariate analysis of prognostic variables in patients with metastatic testicular cancer. Cancer Res 43: 3404–3407Google Scholar
- Bosl GJ, Bajorin D, Leitner S et al. (1986) A randomized trial of etoposide plus cisplatin versus VAB-6 in good risk patients with germ cell tumor. Am Soc Clin Oncol 5: 104 (Abstract 405)Google Scholar
- Daugaard G, Rorth M (1985) High dose cisplatin and VP.16 in patients with poor risk prognosis germ cell cancer. Am Soc Clin Oncol 4: 99 (Abstract C-385)Google Scholar
- Mostofi FK (1980) Pathology of germ cell tumors of the testis. A progress report. Cancer 48: 1735–1754Google Scholar
- Peckham MJ (1985) Surveillance following orchiectomy for clinical stage I testicular germ-cell malignancy. Acta Urol Belg 53: 155–164Google Scholar
- Pizzocaro G (1985) Primary, secondary and salvage surgery in the management of germinal testis cancer. In: Jones WG, Milford Ward A, Anderson CK (eds) Germ cell tumours. Pergamon, Oxford, pp 395–402Google Scholar
- Richie JP, Garnick MB (1985) Limited retroperitoneal lymphadenectomy for patients with clinical stage I testicular tumours. J Urol 133–247 A (Abstract 534)Google Scholar
- Tamburini M, Filiberti A, Barbieri A et al. (1986) Psychosocial measurement of testicular cancer therapy. Preliminary data of a prospective study. International Workshop Quality of Life. 13 December 1985, MilanoGoogle Scholar
- Williams SD, Einhorn LH, Greco FA et al. (1985) Disseminated germ cell tumors: a comparison of cisplatin plus bleomycin plus either vinblastine (PVB) or VP.16 (BEP). Am Soc Clin Oncol 4: 100 (Abstract C-390)Google Scholar
- Williams SD, Muggia F, Einhorn LH et al. (1986) Resected stage II testicular cancer: immediate adjuvant chemotherapy versus observation. Am Soc Clin Oncol 5: 98 (Abstract 380)Google Scholar