Because of the breadth of this topic, we have had to be somewhat selective about what to include in this review: parts of it are simply annotated bibliography while the relatively long section on metastasis reflects both the fact that this is both clinically at least as relevant an area as primary carcinogenesis as well as the fact that research in this area is rapidly expanding. Several topics of general interest are discussed in the section on metastasis, like angiogenesis and treatment. Many of the references quoted are reviews; an additional three are of general interest: Alberts et al. (1983); Anderson (1985) and Cairns (1981).
KeywordsHuman Papilloma Virus Mouse Melanoma Cell Surface Structure Spontaneous Fusion Acute Monocytic Leukaemia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adams JM (1985) Oncogene activation by fusion of chromosomes in leukaemia. Nature 315: 542–543Google Scholar
- Alberts B, Bray D, Lewis J, Raff M, Roberts K, Watson JD (1983) Molecular biology of the cell. Garland, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Anderson JR (1985) Muir’s textbook of pathology, 12th edn. Arnold, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Croce CM, Klein G (1985) Chromosome translocations and human cancer. Sci Am 252: 44–50Google Scholar
- Hansen HZ (1986) Evidence for association between human papilloma virus and neoplasia. Intern Med 7: 66–79Google Scholar
- Hart IR (1982) Seed and soil revisited: mechanisms of site-specific metastasis. Cancer Res Rev 1: 5–17Google Scholar
- Müller R (1986) Protooncogenes and differentiation. Trends Biochem Sci 11: 129–132Google Scholar
- Paget S (1889) The distribution of secondary growths in cancer of the breast. Lancet 1: 571–573Google Scholar
- Rosenberg SA, Lotze MT, Muul LM, Leitman S, Chang AE, Ettinghausen SE, Matroy YL, et al. (1985) Observations on the systemic administration of autologous lymphokine-activated killer cells and recombinant interleukin-2 to patients with metastatic cancer. N Engl J Med 313: 1485–1492PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Schimke RT (ed) (1982) Gene amplification. Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Tarin D, Price JE, Kettlewall MGW, Souter RG, Vass ACR, Crossley B (1984 a) Clinicopathological observations on metastasis in man studied in patients treated with peritoneovenous shunts. Br Med J 288: 749–751Google Scholar