Receptor binding of cardiac hormones to dog kidney with congestive heart failure
During chronic and acute cardiac failure, plasma levels of cardiodilatin/atrial natriuretic peptide (CDD/ANP) are elevated, depending on the severity of the disease. Compared to normal subjects, however, CDD/ANP infusion in high doses in patients with chronic heart failure showed no significantly increased urine or sodium excretion rates (1,6). It was reported that in platelets from patients with congestive heart failure, binding sites for CDD/ANP are lower than in controls (9). Down-regulation of CDD/ANP receptors in cultured vascular smooth muscle cells during incubation with ANP has been reported (3), and Takayanagi and collaborators (11) observed that the number of ANP receptors was reduced in aortic smooth muscle of spontaneous hypertensive rats during hypertension. The loss of the biological activity of CDD/ANP with respect to diuresis during congestive heart failure may be due to a receptor down-regulation in the kidney. Therefore, we investigated binding of CDD/ANP in an animal model of congestive heart failure.
KeywordsPermeability Filtration Iodine Cardiomyopathy Barbiturate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Forssmann, W.G., Pickel, V., Reinecke, M., Hock, D., Metz, J. (1981) Immunohistochemistry and immunocytochemistry of nervous tissue. In: Heym, C., Forssmann, W.G. (eds) Techniques in neuro anatomical research. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, p 171Google Scholar
- 7.Riegger, A.J.G., Eisner, D., Muders, F., Pascher, E., Kromer, E.P. (1988) Endocrine heart in experimental cardiomyopathy. In: Functional morphology of the endocrine heart, pp 153–159. Forssmann, W.G., Schnermann, D.D., Alt, J. (eds) Steinkopff Verlag DarmstadtGoogle Scholar
- 9.Schiffrin, E.L. (1986) Down-regulation of binding sites for atrial natriuretic peptide in platelets of patients with congestive heart failure. Circulation 74 (suppl II): II-463 (abstract)Google Scholar
- 10.Takayanagi, R., Imada, T., Grammer, R.T., Misono, K.S., Naruse, M., Inagami, T. (1986) Atrial natriuretic factor in spontaneously hypertensive rats: concentration changes with the progression of hypertension and elevated formation of cyclic GMP. J Hypertension 4: S303Google Scholar
- 11.Takayanagi, R., Snajdar, R.M., Imada, T., Tamura, M., Pandey, K.N., Misono, K.S., Inagami, T. (1987) Purification and characterization of two types of atrial natriuretic factor receptors from bovine adrenal cortex: guanylate cyclase-linked and cyclase-free receptors. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 144: 244PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar