Prophylactic treatment of renal stone disease with magnesium hydroxide during five years
Already in the year 1810 (Brande) was magnesium proposed as prophylactic treatment against renal stone disease. It was later shown that magnesium increased the solubility of calcium oxalate in vitro (Hammarsten, 1929). Desmars and Tawashi (1973) demonstrated the greater solubility product for magnesium oxalate than for calcium oxalate and magnesium has also been found to account for 20% of the total inhibitory activity of calcium phosphate precipitation in whole urine (Bisaz et al., 1978).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.de Albuquerque, P. F., Tuma, M.: Investigations on urolithiasis. II: Studies on oxalate. J. Urol. 87: 504 (1962).Google Scholar
- 2.Bisaz, S., Felix, R., Neumann, W. F., Fleisch, H.: Quantitative determination of inhibitors of calcium phosphate precipitation in whole urine. Mineral Electrolyte Metab. 1: 74 (1978).Google Scholar
- 3.Brande, W. T.; Observations on the effects of magnesia in preventing an increased formation of uric acid; with some remarks on the composition of urine. Med. Phys. J. 24: 203 (1810).Google Scholar
- 4.Danielson, B. G., Johansson, G., Ljunghall, S.: Magnesium metabolism in healthy subjects. Scand. J. Urol. Nephrol. 51 (suppl): 49 (1979).Google Scholar
- 7.Hammarsten, G.: On calcium oxalate and its solubility in the presence of inorganic salts with special reference to the occurrence of oxaluria. C R Lab. Carlsberg 17: 1 (1929).Google Scholar
- 10.Johansson, G., Backman, U., Danielson, B. G., Fellström, B., Ljunghall, S., Wikström, B.: Prophylactic treatment with magnesium hydroxide in renal stone disease. In: Urolithiasis: Clinical and basic research. (Ed. L. H. Smith ), pp 267–274. Plenum Publishing Corporation, 1981.Google Scholar
- 11.Wikström, B., Backman, U., Danielson, B. G., Fellström, B., Johansson, G., Ljunghall, S.: Urinary citrate excretion and acidification defects in renal calcium stone formers. In: Urolithiasis: Clinical and basic research. (Ed. L. H. Smith ), pp 757–762. Plenum Publishing Corporation, New York, 1981.Google Scholar