Comparison of Altimetric and Ship borne Marine Gravity over Ice-free and Ice-covered polar Seas
Various recent marine altimetric gravity fields based on geodetic mission altimetry are compared with ship borne gravity in four regions around Greenland. This is done over different states of the ocean surface ranging from ice free open ocean to permanently ice covered ocean. Distinguishing between results obtained over these different states is important because, usually, the accuracy of the altimetric products decreases with increasing coverage of ice and proximity to coast.
KeywordsGravity Field Gravity Anomaly Satellite Altimetry Altimeter Data Marine Gravity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andersen, O. B. and P. Knudsen, Global Marine Gravity Field from the ERS-1 and GEOSAT Geodetic Mission Altimetry, J. Geophys Res. In press, 1997.Google Scholar
- Andersen, O. B., P. Knudsen & C.C. Tscherning, Investigation of methods for global gravity field recovery from dense ERS-1 geodetic mission altimetry. In: Global Gravity Field and its temporal variations. Ed.s: Rapp, Cazenave & Nerem, IAG Symposia no. 116, p. 218–226, Springer Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, 1996.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Andersen, O. B., and P. Knudsen, Global gravity field from the ERS-1 geodetic mission, Earth Observation Quarterly, 47, ESRIN, 1–5, 1995.Google Scholar
- Andersen, O. B., and P. Knudsen, Altimetric gravity field from the full ERS-1 geodetic mission, Proceedings EGS general meeting, Springer Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, 1996.Google Scholar
- Behrend, D. H. Denker and K. Schmidt, Digital gravity data sets for the Mediterranean Sea derived from available maps, Bull d.Inform. 78, BGI, Touluse Cedex, Fr., 32–41, 1996.Google Scholar
- Hwang, C., E.-C. Kao, and B. Parsons, 1997. Global marine gravity anomalies from Seasat, GEOSAT, ERS-1 and TOPEX/POSEIDON altimeter data, paper submitted GJI.Google Scholar
- Laxon S. W., and D. McAdoo, Polar Marine Gravity Fields from ERS1, Proceedings of the 3rd ERS symposium, Florence, 17–21 March, 1997.Google Scholar
- Lemoine, F. G., et al., The development of the NASA GSFC and DMA joint geopotential model, in (J. Segawa, H. Fujimoto and S. Okubo (eds) Gravity, Geoid and Marine Geodesy, IAG Symposia 117, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1997.Google Scholar
- McAdoo, D.C. & Laxon, S.W. Marine Gravity from GEOSAT and ERS-1 Altimetry in the Weddell Sea. in Weddell Sea Tectonics and Gondwana Breakup, Eds. B.C. Storey, E.C. King and R.A. Livermore, The Geological Society, London, 155–164, 1996.Google Scholar