Generating Orthometric Heights from the ERS-1 Altimeter Geodetic Mission Dataset: Results from an Expert Systems Approach
The ERS-1 mission resulted in the acquisition of large volumes of echoes over non-ocean surfaces. The dense data coverage generated from the geodetic mission offers the possibility of generating millions of height points over the earth’s land surface. However, highly complex altimeter echoes are observed over much of the terrain not sampled by previous altimeters due to loss of lock. An expert system has therefore been developed to retrack individual waveforms using a range of retrackers specifically configured to interpret echoes over land. Data from the entire geodetic mission has been processed to generate a Regional Altimeter Result database (RAR) and this paper presents results illustrating the potential of this technique to generate terrain related information over remote areas. The results confirm the value of an expert system approach to land altimetry retracking, and demonstrate that additional terrain related information may also be derived.
KeywordsExpert System Orthometric Height Waveform Shape Global Digital Elevation Model Height Point
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Berry, P.A.M., Bracke, H. & Jasper, A., 1997. ‘Retracking ERS-1 Altimeter Waveforms over Land for Topographic Height Determination: an Expert Systems Approach’. Proceedings, Third ERS Symposium, Florence, March 1997.Google Scholar
- 2.Berry, P.A.M., Bron E.I., Leenmans, C. & Sanders, R.F., 1997a. ‘Use of ERS-1 Land Altimetry to Validate the GLOBE Global Digital Elevation Model’, this issue.Google Scholar
- 3.Bracke, H., Berry, P.A.M. & Dowson, M. 1996. ‘Geodetic Applications of ERS-1 Altimeter Data Over Land’. American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, December 1996.Google Scholar
- 4.Berry, P.A.M., Sanders, R.F., Bron E.I. & Leenmans, C., 1997c. ‘Generating Orthometric Heights From The ERS-1 Altimeter Geodetic Mission Dataset: Results From An Expert Systems Approach’, this issue.Google Scholar
- 5.‘GLOBE Dataset Version 0.5’, 1997, National Geophysical Data Center, Boulder, ColoradoGoogle Scholar
- 6.Wilson, H.K., 1994. ‘WAP Compact User Guide’, issue 1.4. National Remote Sensing Centre Report: PF-UG-NRL-AL-0001.Google Scholar
- 7.Guzkowska, M.A., Rapley, C.G., Ridley, J.K., Cudlip, W., Birkett, C.M. & Scott, R.F., 1990. ‘Developments in inland water and land altimetry’, ESA CR-7839/88/F/FL.Google Scholar