The targeted toxin research reviewed in this volume includes recent advances in clinical applications of these compounds. The observation of clinical efficacy of both transferrin conjugated to mutant diphtheria toxin in high-grade gliomas and truncated diphtheria toxin fused to interleukin-2 in cutaneous T cell lymphomas and psoriasis are achievements for which all the members of the targeted toxin research community can be proud. The participation of so many colleagues in this field in this book has been a reflection both of the kindness and friendliness of the individuals as well as their commitment to working together to develop a new class of human therapeutics.
KeywordsDiphtheria Toxin Large Granular Lymphocyte Fusion Toxin Pokeweed Antiviral Protein Vascular Leak Syndrome
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bookman M, Godfrey S, Padavic K, Griffin T, Corda J, Hamilton T, Ozols R, Groves E (1990) Antitransferrin receptor immunotoxin (IT) therapy: phase I intraperitoneal (i.p.) Trial. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 9: 187Google Scholar
- Duvic M, Cather J, Maize J, Frankel AE (1997) DAB389IL2 diphtheria fusion toxin produces clinical responses in tumor stage cutaneous T cell lymphoma. Lancet (submitted)Google Scholar
- Frankel AE, Laver J, Willingham MC, Burns L, Kersey J, Vallera DA (1997) Therapy of patients with T-cell lymphomas using an anti-CD7 monoclonal antibody-ricin A chain immunotoxin. Leuk Lymph (in press)Google Scholar
- Gould B, Borowitz M, Groves E, Carter P, Anthony D, Weiner J, Frankel A (1989) A phase I study of a continuous infusion anti-breast cancer immunotoxin: report of a targeted toxicity not predicted by animal studies. JNCI 81: 774–781Google Scholar
- Grossbard M, Freedman A, Ritz J, Coral F, Goldmacher V, Eliseo L, Spector N, Dear K, Lambert J, Blattler W, Taylor J, Nadler L (1992) Serotherapy of B-cell neoplasms with anti-B4-blocked ricin. A phase I trial of daily bolus infusion. Blood 79: 576–582Google Scholar
- Jansen B, Kersey J, Jaszcz W, Gunther R, Nguyen D, Chelstrom L, Tuelahlgren L, Uckun F (1993) Effective immunochemotherapy of human t(4;11) leukemia in mice with severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID) using B43 (anti-CDI9)-pokeweed antiviral protein immunotoxin plus cyclophosphamide. Leukemia 7: 290–297PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Pai L, Bookman M, Ozols R, Young R, Smith J, Longo D, Gould B, Frankel A, McClay E, Howell S, Reed E, Willingham M, FitzGerald D, Pastan I (1991) Clinical evaluation of intraperitoneal Pseudomonas exotoxin immunoconjugate OVB3-PE in patients with ovarian cancer. J Clin Oncol 9: 2095–2102PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Pastan 1H (1997) Tumor immunotoxins: technology closes in on potential. Adv Oncol 13: 3–9Google Scholar
- Senderowicz AM, Vitetta E, Headlee D, Ghetie V, Uhr JW, Figg WD, Lush RM, Stetler-Stevenson M, Kershaw G, Kingma DW, Jaffe ES, Sausville EA (1997) Complete sustained response of a refractory, post-transplantation, large B-cell lymphoma to an anti-CD22 immunotoxin. Ann Intern Med 126: 882–885PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Strom T, Kelley V, Murphy J, Nichols B, Woodworth T (1994) Interleukin-2 receptor-directed therapies: antibody-or cytokine-based targeting molecules. Adv Nephrol 23: 347–356Google Scholar
- Uckun F, Gajl-Peczalska K, Myers D, Ramsay N, Kersey J, Colvin M, Vallera D (1987) Marrow purging in autologous bone marrow transplantation for T-lineage acute lymphoblastic leukemia: efficacy of ex vivo treatment with immunotoxins and 4-hydroperoxy-cyclophosphamide against fresh leukemic marrow progenitor cells. Blood 69: 361–366PubMedGoogle Scholar