Expression of Differentiation Antigens on Blast Cells of Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML, M0–M6)
Forty one patients with AML (M01 4 patients, M11 5, M21 7, M41 8, M5a1 16, and M61 one patient) have been studied. Cytochemical reactions (MPO, CAE, AcP, ANAE, NE, PAS) and immunological detection of antigens expression (indirect immunoperoxidase, APAAP methods and, in some cases, flow cytometry) were performed. The definition of typical phenotypical pattern for discrete FAB-variants AML was carried out. Significant heterogeneity of monoblasts was revealed. Cases of AML, M5a with unusual phenotypical features were discovered. Its origin from hierarchy of hematopoietic stem cells is discussed.
Keywordsacute myelogenous leukemia monoblastic leukemia hematopoietic progenitor cells stem cells antigen expression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Schlossman SF, Boumsell L, Gilks W, Harlan JM, Kishimoto T, Morimoto C, Ritz J, Shaw S, Silverstein R, Springer T, Tedder TF, Todd RF (1995) Leukocyte Typing V. White cell differentiation antigens. New York: Oxford University Press Inc. 1192 ppGoogle Scholar
- 10.Terstappen LWMM, Huang S, Safford M, Lansdorp P, Loken M (1996) Sequential generation of hematopoietic colonies derived from single nonlineage-committed CD34+CD38--progenitor cells. Blood 77: 1218–27Google Scholar
- 13.Bein BJ (1990) Leukemia diagnosis. A guide to the FAB classification. London, NewYork: Power Medical Publishing 115 ppGoogle Scholar
- 14.Cuneo A, Ferrant A, Michaux JL, Boorgaerts M, Demuynck H, Orshoven A, Criel A, Stul M, Chi PD, Hernandez J, Chatelain B, Doyen Ch, Louwagie A, Castoldi G, Cassiman J-J, Berghe H (1995) Cytogenetic profile of minimally differentiated (FAB MO) acute myeloid leukemia: correlation with clinicobiologic findings. Blood 85: 3688–94PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Terpsta W, Prins A, Ploemacher RE, Wognum BW, Wagemaker G, Lowenberg B, Wielenga JJ (1996) Long-term leukemia-initiating capacity of a CD34- subpopulation of acute myeloid leukemia. Blood 87: 2187–94Google Scholar