Role of Prostaglandins, Interleukin-1, Interferon-γ and Anti-Inflammatory Compounds in the Regulation of Thymocyte Proliferation
T-cell precursors of bone marrow origin migrate to the thymus, where they differentiate and give rise to peripheral mature T-cells. The process of differentiation of T-cells is extremely complex, depending upon their microenvironment and the cells with which they are in contact. Cells which constitute the thymic stroma, mainly thymic epithelial cells of endo-ectodermic origin and thymic accessory cells of bone marrow origin, can modulate T-cell selection, proliferation and differentiation. Cell to cell recognition signals, mainly through class I and class II antigens encoded by the major histocompatibility complex (MHC) genes, as well as the secretion of factors are implicated in T-cell differentiation.
KeywordsToxicity Corticosteroid Interferon Prostaglandin Cyclosporin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bach JF (1983) Thymulin (FTS-Zn). Clin Immunol Allergy 3: 133Google Scholar
- Bach JF, Dardenne M, Berrih S, Savino W, Papiernik M (1984) Regulation of the synthesis of humoral mediators of intra-thymic T-cell differentiation (thymic hormones, interleukin 1, interleukin 2). In: Cantor H, Chess L, Seracz L (eds) Regulation of the immune system. Alan R Liss, New York, p 329Google Scholar
- Boraschi D, Censini S, Bartalini M, Scapigliati G, Barbaruli G, Vicenzi E, Donati MB, Tagliabue A (1984b) Interferon inhibit prostaglandin biosynthesis in macrophages: effects on arachidonic acid metabolism. J Immunol 132: 1987Google Scholar
- Durum SK, Takacs L, Tartakovsky B (1985) IL1 production by murine macrophages andB cells. Regulation by T cells and la antigens. In: The physiologic, metabolic and immunologic actions of interleukin 1. Alan R Liss, New York, p 287Google Scholar
- Homo F, Duval D, Papiernik M (1985) Prostaglandin production by phagocytic cells of the mouse thymic reticulum in culture and its modulation by indomethacin and corticosteroids. J Immunol 135: 506Google Scholar
- Papiernik M, Nabarra B, Savino W, Pontoux C, Barbey S (1983) Thymic reticulum in mice. II. Culture and characterization of non epithelial phagocytic cells of the thymic reticulum. Their role in the syngenic stimulation of thymic medullary lymphocytes. Eur J Immunol 13: 147PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sonnenfeld G (1980) Modulation of immunity by interferon. In: Pick E (ed) Lymphokine report, vol. 1. Academic Press, London, pp 113Google Scholar