Cloning of Murine B-Lymphocyte Differentiation Stage-Specific Genes
During differentiation of eukaryotic cells with specialized functions selected genes must be expressed which encode structures for these functions. We expect that the expression of these selected genes will occur in the differentiated cell type only, and in no other cell of the body, if the corresponding structures and functions are unique for the type of differentiated cell. Examples of selected gene expression are known in blood cells. Globin is expressed in red blood cells, the T-cell receptor for antigen in T cells, and immunoglobulin (Ig) in B cells only.
KeywordsmRNA Preparation Immunoglobulin Heavy Chain Variable Region Basel Institute Murine Plasma Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berger CN (1986b) In situ Hybridisierung von mRNA Molekülen in einzelnen lymphoiden Zellen und Anwendungen zur Untersuchung der Repertoires Antikörper produzierender Lymphozyten. Dissertation, University of BasleGoogle Scholar
- Cooper MD, Mulvaney D, Coutinho A, Canave P-A (1986) Identification of a novel cell surface molecular on early B-lineage cells. Nature, to be publishedGoogle Scholar
- Melchers F, Melchers J, Philips RA (1976) Ontogeny of murine B lymphocytes: development of Ig synthesis and reactivities to mitogens and anti-Ig antibodies. In Cold Spring Harbor Symp Quant Biol 41: 147–158Google Scholar
- Osmond DG (1979) Generation of B lymphocytes in the bone marrow. In: Cooper M, et al. (eds) B lymphocyte in the immune response. Elsevier North Holland, Amsterdam, pp 63–70Google Scholar
- Parkhouse M (1985) in Mechanisms of B cell neoplasia 1985. Workshop at the Basel Institute for Immunology, pp 48–54, Editiones Roche, BaselGoogle Scholar
- Sakaguchi N, Kishimoto T, Kikutani H, Watanabe T, Yoshida N, Shimizu A, Yamawaki-Kataoka Y, Honjo T, Yamamura Y (1980) Induction and regulation of immunoglobulin expression in a murine pre-B cell line, 70Z/3. I. Cell cycle associated induction of sIgM expression and к-chain synthesis in 70Z/3 cells by LPS stimulation. J Immunol 125: 2654–2659PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yancopoulos GD, Desiderio SV, Paskind M, Kearney JF, Baltimore D, Alt FW (1984) Preferential utilization of the most JH-proximal VH gene segments in pre-B cells lines. Nature 290: 368–372Google Scholar