Spin-Isospin Excitations in Nuclei by the (p,n) Reaction
The (p,n) reaction has been successful in delineating the Gamow-Teller strength function in the nuclear excitation spectrum; however, the total strength extracted from experiment is less than that expected from the sum rule if only nucleon spin and isospin degrees of freedom are important in nuclei. Apparently the missing strength is shifted to higher excitation energies primarily through mixing with both 2p-2h and A-h configurations; however, an experimental test is needed to decide the relative importance of these two principal mechanisms.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.C.D. Goodman and S.D. Bloom in “Spin Excitations in Nuclei”, ed. by F. Petrovich, G.E. Brown, G.T. Garvey, C.D. Goodman, R.A. Lindgren, W.G. Love, p. 143, Plenum, New York (1982).Google Scholar
- 3.C. Gaarde, Nuclear Structure, ed. by R. Broglia et al, p. 449, Elsevier Science Publishers (1985).Google Scholar
- 4.R. Madey, B.S. Flanders, B.D. Anderson, A.R. Baldwin, C. Lebo, J.W. Watson, S.M. Austin, A. Galonsky, B.A. Wildenthal and C.C. Foster, Phys. Rev. C (submitted).Google Scholar
- 6.R. Madey, J.W. Watson, B.D. Anderson, A.R. Baldwin and P.J. Pella, Proceedings 1985 Summer Workshop, Continuous Electron Beam Accelerator Facility, ed. by Hall Crannel and Franz Gross, pp. 290–315 (1985).Google Scholar
- 8.The Madison Convention, in Polarization Phenomena in Nuclear Reactions, ed. by H.H. Barshall and W. Haeberli, The University of Wisconsin Press, Madison, Wisconsin (1970).Google Scholar
- 10.J.W. Watson, P.J. Pella, B.D. Anderson, A.R. Baldwin, T. Chittrakarn, B.S. Flanders, R. Madey, C.C. Foster and I.J. van Heerden, Phys. Lett (submitted).Google Scholar
- 13.B. Flanders, Ph.D. Dissertation, Kent State University (December 1985).Google Scholar
- 14.K. Grotz and H.V. Klapdor, Nuclear Physics (in press).Google Scholar
- 15b. .
- 15c. .
- 15d. .
- 15e. .
- 17.G.F. Bertsch and H. Esbensen, The (p,n) Reaction and the Nucleon-Nucleon Force, Argonne National Laboratory Report PHY-4803-TH-66 (May 1986).Google Scholar