Expression of c-myc and c-fos During Phorbol Ester Induced Differentiation of B-type Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Cells
- 48 Downloads
The development of the various functionally specialized cell types within the hematopoietic system involves not only stepwise, cell lineage specific phenotypic alterations towards the fully mature end cells, but also proliferation to allow for the necessary expansion of the stem cell progeny (Mak and McCulloch 1982). The two processes appear to be regulated by two independent but coupled genetic programs. In malignant hematopoietic cell clones, in contrast, cells often are arrested at a particular stage of differentiation (Greaves 1979). This arrest was until recently assumed to be irreversible. However, it is now clear from many studies in vitro of mouse and human leukemia/1ymphoma cells that further, and in the case of some myelo-monocytic human tumor cell lines, even terminal differentiation may be induced by several inducers including phorbol esters (i.e. TPA), dimethylsulphoxide (DMSO), vitamin D3 and retinoic acid (Sachs 1980, Huberman and Callaham 1979, Nilsson et al. 1980).
KeywordsChronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Burkitt Lymphoma Malignant Hematopoietic Cell Normal Peripheral Blood Lymphocyte Human Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carlsson M, Tötterman TH, Matsson P, Nilsson K (1986) Cell cycle progression of B-chronic lymphocytic leukemia cells induced to differentiate by TPA. To be published.Google Scholar
- Forsbeck K, Hellman L, Danersund A, Tötterman TH, Pettersson U, Nilsson K (1986) TPA-induced differentiation of chronic lymphocytic leukaemia cells: Studies on chain expression. To be published.Google Scholar
- Greaves MF (1979) Tumour markers, phenotypes, and maturation arrest in malignancy: A cell selection hypothesis. In: Boelsma E, Rumke P (eds) Tumour markers. Elsevier, Amsterdam p 201.Google Scholar
- Larsson L-G, Gray HE, Tötterman T, Pettersson U, Nilsson K (1986) Drastically increased expression of c-myc and c-fos oncogenes during in vitro differentiation of chronic lymphocytic leukemia ( CLL) cells. To be published.Google Scholar
- Mak TW, McCulloch (eds) (1982) Cellular and molecular biology of hemopoietic stem cell differentiation. J Cell Physiol, suppl 1.Google Scholar
- Nilsson K, Andersson LC, Gahmberg CG, Forsbeck K (1980) Differentiation in vitro of human leukemia and lymphoma cell lines.In: Serrou B, Rosenfeld C (eds) International symposium on new trends in human immunology and cancer immuno-therapy. Doin Editeurs, Paris p 271.Google Scholar
- Nilsson K, Ivhed I, Forsbeck K (1985) Induced differentiation in human malignant hematopoietic cell lines. In: Andersson LC, Gahmberg CG, Ekblom P (eds). Academic Press, London p 57.Google Scholar
- Nilsson K, Tötterman T, Danersund A, Forsbeck K, Hellman L, Pettersson U (1985b) Phorbol ester (TPA)-induced differention of B-type chronic lymphocytic leukemia cells. In: Wahren B et al (eds) Molecular Biology of Tumor Cells. Raven Press, New York p 233.Google Scholar
- Smeland E, Godal T, Ruud E, Beiske K, Funderud S, Clark EA, Pfeifer-Ohlsson S, Ohlsson R (1985) The specific induction of myc protooncogene expression in normal human B cells is not a sufficient event for acquisition of competence to proliferate. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 82: 5255–6259.CrossRefGoogle Scholar