C-Myc Activation in Spontaneous Rat Immunocytomas Containing a 6;7 Chromosomal Translocation
- 53 Downloads
The Lou/Wsl rat immunocytoma (RIC) is a plasma cell tumor (Bazin et al, 1972; for review, see Bazin, 1986), and histologically resembles the mouse plasmacytoma. Tumors arise spontaneously in the ileocecal lymph nodes in approximately 28% of rats of the Lou/Wsl strain, and are detectable at about one year of age. The tumors kill the animals approximately one month after becoming palpable. Although the most frequently secreted myeloma protein is IgE, all isotypes and Bence-Jones proteins are secreted. In addition to the genetic predisposition of the Lou/Wsl strain, both parasites and sex have been postulated as factors in immunocytoma development (Bazin, 1985).
KeywordsChromosomal Translocation Immunoglobulin Heavy Chain Plasma Cell Tumor Light Chain Locus Opposite Transcriptional Orientation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bazin, H (1985). In: Mechanisms of B Cell Neoplasia. Editiones Roche, Basil, p. 208.Google Scholar
- Bazin, H (1986) Louvain rat immunocytomas. Adv. Cancer Res.: in press.Google Scholar
- Cory, S (1986) Activation of cellular oncogenes in hemopoietic cells by chromosomal translocation. Adv Cancer Res: in press.Google Scholar
- Dalla-Favera, R, Gelmann, EP, Martinotti, S, Franchini, G, Papas, T, Gallo, R, and Wong-Staal, F (1 9 8 2) Cloning and characterization of different human sequences related to the one gene (v-myc) of avian myelocytomatosis virus (MC29). Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 79: 6497–6501.Google Scholar
- Li, Y, Holland, CA, Hartley, JW, and Hopkins, N (1984) Viral integration near c-myc in 10–20% of MCF 247-induced AKR lymphomas. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 81: 6808–6811.Google Scholar
- Pear, WS, Wahlstrom, G, Szpirer, J, Levan, G, Klein,G, and Sumegi, J (1986) Localization of the rat immunoglobulin heavy chain locus to chromosome 6. Immunogenetics: in press.Google Scholar
- Selton, G, Cuypers, HT, Zijlstra, M, Melief, C, and Berns, A (1984) Involvement of c-myc in MULV-induced T cell lymphomas in mice: frequency and mechanisms of activation. EMBO J. 3: 3215–3222.Google Scholar
- Szpirer, J, Levan G, Thorn, M, and Szpirer, C (1984) Gene mapping in the rat by mouse-rat somatic cell hybridization: synteny of the albumin and alpha-fetoprotein genes and assignment to chromosome 14. Cytogenet. Cell Genet. 38: 142–149.Google Scholar
- Wiener, F, Babonits, M, Spira, J, Klein, G, and H Bazin (1982) Non-random chromosomal changes involving chromosomes 6 and 7 in spontaneous rat immunocytomas. Int. J. Cancer 29: 431–437.Google Scholar