Lymphokine Regulation of Murine IgE Production
- 48 Downloads
Many studies during the last 15 years have clearly established that IgE responses are regulated by T lymphocytes and that IgE production can be regulated independent of the production of other immunoglobulin isotypes (Ishizaka 1976; Itaya and Ovary 1979; Katz 1980). The mechanisms by which T cells effect this isotype-specific regulation of IgE, however, has not as yet been clearly defined. Much recent work has centered on the role of IgE-binding potentiator and suppressor factors in this regulation (Ishizaka 1984; Suemura et al. 1981; Young et al. 1984). In this report, we summarize evidence that B cell stimulatory factor-1 (BSF-1) and interferon-γ (IFN- γ) can also regulate IgE production in a relatively isotype-specific manner.
KeywordsImmunoglobulin Isotype Cell Differentiation Factor Mast Cell Growth Factor Isotype Expression Cell Growth Factor Activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Coffman RL, Ohara J, Bond MW, Carty J, Zlotnik A, Paul WE (1986a) B cell stimulatory factor-1 enhances the IgE response on LPS- activated B cells, in press.Google Scholar
- Coffman RL, Lee F, Yokota T, Arai, K and Mosmann T (1986b) The effect of BSF-1 and IFN7 on mouse immunoglobulin isotype expression. In: Goldstein G, Bach J-F and Wigzell H, (Eds). Immune regulation by characterized polypeptides. UCLA Symposia on Molecular and Cellular Biology, Vol 41. Alan R Liss, N.Y. in press.Google Scholar
- Isakson PC, Pure E, Vitetta ES, and Krammer PH (1982) T cell-derived B cell differentiation factor(s): Effect on the isotype switch of murine B cells. J Exp Med 155: 734–748.Google Scholar
- Lee F, Yakota T, Otsuka T, Meyerson P, Villaret D, Coffman R, Mosmann T, Rennick D, Roehm N, Smith C, Zlotnik A, and Arai K (1986) Isolation and characterization of a mouse interleukin cDNA clone that expresses BSF-1 activities and T cell and mast cell stimulating activities. Proc Natl Acad Sei USA: in press.Google Scholar
- Mosmann TR, Cherwinski H, Bond MW, Giedlin MA, Coffman RL (1986) Two types of murine helper T cell clones: 1. Definition according to profiles of lymphokine activities and secreted proteins. J Immunol in press.Google Scholar
- Ohara J, Lahet S, Inman J, and Paul WE (1985) Partial purification of murine B cell stimulatory factor ( BSF)-l. J Immunol 135: 2518–2523.Google Scholar