Subclinical Hepatocellular Carcinoma
Hepatitis B virus (HBV), aflatoxin, contamination of drinking water, and other chemicals are considered to be etiological factors; identification of the transforming gene N-ras in PLC has been reported.
The concept of subclinical hepatocellular carcinoma (SCHCC) has been developed on the basis of alpha fetoprotein (AFP) serosurvey, involving a new approach to early detection, revision of the principles underlying surgical treatment, new insight into the natural history of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), and renewal of the prognostic concept, particularly with 5-year survival after resection of SCHCC up to 72.9% [19, 26].
Multimodality and aggressive approaches to the treatment of symptomatic PLC.
Establishment of human HCC cell lines and transplantable human HCC in immune-deficient animals.
More concern has been centered on the study of HCC cell membrane and its glycoprotein, glycolipid components in basic research.
Radioimmunodetection and radioimmunotherapy by using appropriate antibodies is also under way.
KeywordsHepatitis Oncol Radionuclide Trypsin Alanine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Axtell IM, Cutler SJ, Myers MH: End results in Cancer. Report No. 4, pp. 72–76, US Department of Health, Education and Welfare, Public Health Service, NIH, NCI, Bethesda, MD 1972Google Scholar
- 3.Dept. Epidemiology of Shanghai Cancer Institute, Shanghai Sanitary-antiepidemic Center: Analysis of cancer incidence, mortality and survival rates in Shanghai urban area during the period 1972–79. Tumor 2 (1982) 385. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 4.Ervasti J: Primary carcinoma of the liver — a pathologic and clinical study of 100 cases. Acta chir. scand. 334 (1964) 1s–65s.Google Scholar
- 5.Gao RN, Tu JT, Gao YT: A preliminary report of etiological and epidemiological studies on primary liver cancer in Chongming County of Shanghai. Tumor 1 (1981) 148–151. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 6.Gustafson EG: An analysis of 62 cases of primary carcinoma of the liver based on 24,000 necropsies at Bellevue Hospital. Ann. intern. Med. 11 (1937) 889–900Google Scholar
- 8.Hong JX, Zhang QJ, Liu LW et al.: Study on the function of normal human B lymphocytes in the culture with aflatoxin B1. In 1984 Tumor Scientific Reports Abstract, p. 21. Shanghai Cancer Institute, WHO Collaborating Centre for Research on Cancer, 1985Google Scholar
- 9.LiB, Li JY: National survey of cancer mortality in China. Chin. J. Oncol. 2 (1980) 1–10. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 10.Lin TZ, Zhang QJ, Len YW et al.: Study on immunological mechanism of carcinogenesis of primary liver cancer. In 1984 Tumor Scientific Reports Abstract, p. 33. Shanghai Cancer Institute, WHO Collaborating Centre for Research on Cancer, 1985Google Scholar
- 11.Liu YX, YuXS, Gao RN et al.: Association of HLA antigen and HCC. Cancer Res. Prev. Treatm. 11 (1984) 65–67. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 12.Liu YX, Yu XS, Yang YQ et al.: In vitro effect of aflatoxin B1 on human peripheral blood lymphocytes. Tumor 1 (1981) 249–250. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 13.Lu HM, Chen J, Jiang KL et al.: The value of serum 5′-nucleotide phosphodiesterase isozyme in the diagnosis of primary liver cancer. Nat. med. J. China 61 (1981) 219–221. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 16.Shanghai Coordinating Group for Research on Liver Cancer: AFP sero-survey in diagnosis and screening of hepatocellular carcinoma. Nat. med. J. China 53 (1973) 455–457. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 17.Shanghai Coordinating Group for Research on Liver Cancer: Diagnosis and treatment of primary hepatocellular carcinoma in early stage — report of 134 cases. Chin. med. J. 92 (1979) 801–806Google Scholar
- 19.Tang ZY (Edit.): Subclinical Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Beijing: China Academic Publ.; Berlin: Springer 1985Google Scholar
- 21.Tang ZY: Hepatocellular carcinoma — When should we stop surgery? (Guest editorial). J. exp. clin. Cancer Res. 4 (1985) 5–9Google Scholar
- 22.Tang ZY, Lu JZ, Zhou NQ et al.: Small hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). VI. Value of hepatoarteriography, B-scan ultrasonography and liver scintiscan in the localization of small HCC — a comparative study based on operative findings. Acta acad. med. primae Shanghai 9 (1982) 101–105. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 23.Tang ZY, Yang BH: Primary liver cancer — clinical analysis of 3254 cases (from 11 provinces, 21 hospitals, in China). Cancer Res. Prev. Treatm. 2 (1974) 207–215. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 24.Tang ZY, Yang BH: Clinical evaluation of alpha-fetoprotein as tumor marker for hepato-cellular carcinoma. Chin. J. Oncol. 3 (1981) 205–209. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 26.Tang ZY, Ying YY, Gu TJ: Hepatocellular carcinoma — changing concepts in recent years. In H.Popper, F.Schaffner (eds): Progress in Liver Diseases, Vol.7, pp. 637–647. New York: Grune & Stratton 1982Google Scholar
- 27.Tang ZY, Yu YQ, Zhou XD: An important approach to prolonging survival further after radical resection of AFP positive hepatocellular carcinoma. J. exp. clin. Cancer Res. 3 (1984) 359–368Google Scholar
- 29.World Health Organization: Prevention of Liver Cancer. WHO Techn. Rep. Ser. No.691. Geneva 1983Google Scholar
- 31.Xu SK, Guan SF, Wang GL et al.: Assay of alpharantitrypsin activity in the diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma — determination of serum trypsin inhibitor capacity. Tumor 1 (1981) 245–248. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 32.Yang BH, Tang ZY: Primary liver cancer–a clinical analysis of 1045 cases. In Z.Y.Tang (Edit.): Primary Liver Cancer, pp. 366–374. Shanghai: Shanghai Sci. Techn. Publ. 1981. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 33.Yang BH, Tang ZY: Evaluation of 5′-nucleotide phosphodiesterase isozyme V for the diagnosis of primary liver cancer. Acta acad. med. primae Shanghai 9 (1982) 275–278. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 34.Ying YY, Zhou WR, Sung QL et al.: The relationship between hepatitis B virus, liver cirrhosis and primary hepatocellular carcinoma. Tumor 1 (1981) 49–53. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 35.Yu SZ: Epidemiology of primary liver cancer. In Z.Y.Tang (Edit.): Subclinical Hepatocellular Carcinoma, pp. 188–211. Beijing: China Academic Publ.; Berlin: Springer 1985Google Scholar
- 36.Yu YQ, Tang ZY, Zhou XD et al.: Treatment of primary hepatic cancer by YAG laser, a preliminary report. Acta acad. med. primae Shanghai 8 (1981) 29–31. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 38.Zhu YR, Lu BX: Clinical implication of AFP sero-survey. Chin. J. Oncol. 5 (1983) 38–40. (In Chinese)Google Scholar