Epidemiology of Primary Liver Carcinoma
Differential diagnosis of the various liver tumors is rather difficult
There are no corresponding data from many countries
The coding of the various subgroups of category 155 of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD) differs from country to country, as Aoki  was able to show with the aid of the WHO databank
Comparisons of present with past epidemiology are difficult or even impossible because, up to the 8th Revision of the ICD, malignant tumors of the liver and the gallbladder or bile duct were combined under a common code number. Only since 1968 (8th Revision of the ICD) have malignomas of the liver (ICD No. 155) been differentiated from those of the gallbladder (ICD No. 156).
KeywordsHepatitis Europe Anemia Oncol Sarcoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Aoki K: Cancer of the liver — international mortality trends. World Health Statist 31 (1978) 28–50Google Scholar
- 3.Beasley RP, Hwang LY, Lin CC, Chien CS: Hepatocellular carcinoma and hepatitis B virus. Lancet 1981, II, 1129–1132Google Scholar
- 4.Becker N, Frentzel-Beyme R, Wagner G: Krebsatlas der Bundesrepublik Deutschland — Altas of Cancer Mortality in the Federal Republic of Germany. Berlin Heidelberg New York Tokyo: Springer 1984Google Scholar
- 6.Falk H: Liver. In: D. Schottenfeld and J.F. Fraumeni, Jr. (eds): Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, pp 668–682. Philadelphia London Toronto: W. B. Saunders 1982.Google Scholar
- 14.Robinette CD, Hrubec Z, Fraumeni JF Jr: Chronic alcoholism and subsequent mortality in World War II veterans. Amer J Epidemiol 109 (1979) 687–700Google Scholar
- 16.Theilmann L, Gmelin K: Das primäre Leberzellkarzinom. Klinikarzt 14 (1985) 169–172Google Scholar
- 17.Van Kaick G, Muth H, Kaul A etal.: Results of the German Thorotrast Study. In J. D. Boyce, J. F. Fraumeni, Jr. (eds): Radiation Carcinogenesis: Epidemiology and Biological Significance. New York: Raven Press 1984Google Scholar
- 18.Waterhhouse J, Muir C, Shanmugaratnam K et al. Cancer Incidence in Five Continents, vol. IV. Lyon: IARC 1982Google Scholar