Biological Role of Major Transplantation Antigens in T Cell Self-recognition: Possible Consequences in Clinical Medicine
T cell restriction determines what antigens are immunogenic.
T cell restriction has to be taken into account for in vitro testing of cell-mediated immunity.
The specificity for self-MHC of T cells is determined during maturation in the thymus; therefore reconstitution of immunodeficiency depends on thymus grafts and bone marrow stem cells sharing MHC determinants.
T cell restriction may well give us one key to understand why some disease susceptibilities may be linked to the MHC (HLA in human, H-2 in mice).
KeywordsHepatitis Influenza Interferon Meningitis Hunt
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Byrne JA, Oldstone MBA (1974) Biology of cloned cytotoxic T lymphocytes specific for lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus: clearance of virus in vivo. J Virol 51: 682–686Google Scholar
- 7.Cohen D, Dausset J (1973) HLA-gene polymorphism. Progr Immunol 5: 1–12Google Scholar
- 9.Dausset J, Svejgaard A (eds) (1977) HLA and disease. Munksgaard, Copenhagen, pp 1–310Google Scholar
- 12.Hotchin J (1971) Persistent and slow virus infections. Monogr Virol 3: 1–110Google Scholar
- 14.Lehmann-Grube F (1971) Lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus. Monogr Virol 10: 2–171Google Scholar
- 15.Mackay IR (1976) The concept of autoimmune liver disease. Bull NY Acad Med Sci 52: 433–447Google Scholar
- 17.Mims CA (1982) Pathogenesis of infectious disease, 2nd edn. Academic, London, pp 1–297Google Scholar
- 18.Moller G (ed) (1977) Ir genes and T lymphocytes. Immunol Rev 38: 1–162Google Scholar
- 19.Moller G (ed) (1983) HLA and disease susceptibility. Immunol Rev 70: 1–180Google Scholar
- 23.Rowe WR (1954) Studies on pathogenesis and immunity in lymphocytic choriomeningitis infection of the mouse. Res Rep Nav Med Res Inst 12: 167–222Google Scholar
- 24.Townsend ARM, McMichael AJ (1984) The specificity of cytotoxic T lymphocytes stimulated with influenza virus; studies in mice and humans. Progr Allergy 36: 10–97Google Scholar
- 28.Zinkernagel RM, Pfau CJ, Hengartner H, Althage A (1985) A model for MHC-disease associations: susceptibility to murine lymphocytic choriomeningitis maps to class I MHC genes and correlates with LCMV-specific cytotoxic T cell-activity. Nature (in press)Google Scholar