Heterogeneity of the Signal Requirements During the Primary Activation of Resting Lyt-2+ Cytotoxic T-Lymphocyte (CTL) Precursors into Clonally Developing CTL
The in vitro requirements for cell interactions between antigen-presenting cells, T-helper cells, and cytotoxic T-lymphocyte precursors (CTL-P) for the induction of T-cell mediated cytotoxic responses has been recognized as early as 1973 (BACH et al. 1973; Wagner 1973; Cantor and Boyse 1975). After the discovery of the T-cell growth factor interleukin 2 (IL-2) (Morgan et al. 1976), it soon became clear that the T-helper cell product IL-2 (Wagner and Rollinghoff 1978) was crucial in T-T cell interactions during primary cytotoxic T-cell responses (Wagner et al. 1980a; Simon et al. 1981).
KeywordsNylon Paration Concanavalin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hardt C, Diamantstein T, Wagner H (1985) Signal requirements for the in vitro differentiation of cytotoxic T lymphocytes (CTL): distinct soluble mediators promote preactivation of CTL precursors, clonal growth and differentiation into cytotoxic effector cells. Eur J Immunol 15: 472PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- MacDonald HR, Erard F (1985) Activation requirements for resting T lymphocytes (this volume)Google Scholar
- Pfizenmaier K, Scheurich P, Däubner W, Krönke M, Röllinghoff M, Wagner H (1984) Quantitative representation of all T cells committed to develop into cytotoxic effector cells and/or interleukin 2 activity producing helper cells within murine T lymphocyte subsets. Eur J Immunol 14: 33PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Simon MM, Edwards AJ, Hammerling K, McKenzie IFC, Eichmann K, Simpson E (1981) Generation of effector cells from T cell subsets. III. Synergy between Lyt 1 and Lyt 23 lymphocytes in the generation of H-2 restricted and alloreactive cytotoxic T cells. Eur J Immunol 11: 246PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Simon MM, Landolfo S, Diamantstein T, Hochgeschwender U (1985) Antigen and lectin sensitized cytolytic T lymphocyte precursors require both interleukin 2 and endogenously produced interferon for their growth and differentiation into effector cells, (this volume)Google Scholar
- Wagner H, Röllinghoff M, Pfizenmaier K, Hardt C, Johnscher G (1980a) T-Tcell interactions during in vitro cytotoxic T lymphocyte responses. II. Helper factor from activated Lyt 1+ T cells is rate limiting (a) in T ceil responses to non immunogenic alloantigen (b) in thymocyte responses to allogeneic stimulator cells and (c) recruits alloreactive or H-2 restricted CTL-precursors from the Lyt 123+ T cell subset. J Immunol 124: 1954Google Scholar
- Wagner H, Hardt C, Heeg K, Pfizenmaier K, Solbach W, Bartlett R, Stockinger H, Röllinghoff M (1980b) T-T cell interactions during cytotoxic T lymphocyte (CTL) responses: Tcell derived helper factor (interleukin 2) as a probe to analyze CTL responsiveness and thymic maturation of CTL progenitors. Immunol Rev 51: 215PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar