The thymus has claimed more attention from embryologists than have many other organs. After the publication of Haeckel’s Generelle Morphologie, which was influenced by Darwin, in 1866, the pharyngeal region of the embryo was seen as an outstanding example of embryonic recapitulation of the phylogeny of the organism: “The development of the embryo is an abstract of the history of the genus” (Haeckel 1866).
KeywordsParathyroid Gland Severe Combine Immunodeficiency DiGeorge Syndrome Pharyngeal Pouch Severe Combine Immunodeficiency Disease
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Archer O, Pierce JC (1961) Role of thymus in development of the immune response. Fed Proc 20: 26Google Scholar
- Arey LB (ed) (1959) Dev Anat, 6th edn. Saunders PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- Bergsma D (1979) (ed) Birth defects compendium, 2nd edn. Hie National Foundation-March of Dimes. Liss, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Gatti RA, O’Reilly RJ (1979) Immunodeficiency, X-linked severe combined. In: Bergsma D (ed) Birth defects compendium, 2nd edn. The National Foundation-March of Dimes. Liss, New York, pp 578–579Google Scholar
- Lapointe N, Pahwa S (1979) Thymic agenesis. In: Bergsma D (ed) Birth defects compendium, 2nd edn. The National Foundation-March of Dimes. Liss, New York, pp 1018–1019Google Scholar
- Moore MAS, Metealf D (1970) Ontogeny of the haemopoie- tic system: Yolk sac origin of in vivo and in vitro colony forming cells in the developing mouse embryo. Br J Haematol 18: 279–296Google Scholar
- Nortis EH (1937) The parathyroid glands and the lateral thyroid in man: their morphogenesis, histogenesis, topographic anatomy and prenatal growth. Contrib Embryol (Carnegi Inst Washington DC) 26 (no 159): 247–294 -Google Scholar
- Robinson M, Ferguson C, Flake CG (1959) Aberrant parathyroid and thymus in the pharynx. Arch Otolaryngol 69: 312–314Google Scholar
- Siegler R (1969) The thymus and the unicorn two great myths of gross anatomy. Anat Rec 163: 264Google Scholar
- Terribile V (1967) Su di un caso di pancreatite fetale associataad anomalia timica. Boll Soc Ital Patol 10: 46–48Google Scholar
- Weller GL Jr (1933) Development of the thyroid, parathyroid and thymus glands in man. Contrib Enbryol (no 141 ): 93 - 139Google Scholar