Data structures for ray tracing
Methods to improve the efficiency of the ray tracing process are reviewed. Special attention is given to algorithms for tracing a ray through box and cell structures of hierarchical box and spatial subdivision methods.
KeywordsTree Traversal IEEE Computer Graphic Composite Node Item Buffer Hide Surface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Appel, A.A., Some techniques for shading machine renderings of solids, SJCC 1968, AFIPS Conf. Proc. Vol. 32(1968), 37–45.Google Scholar
- Potmesil, M. Generating three-dimensional surface models of solid objects from multiple projections. IPL-TR-033, Image Processing Lab. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, New York, Oct 1982.Google Scholar
- van Wijk, J.J., Ray tracing objects defined by sweeping cubic splines, to appear in ACM Transactions on Graphics.Google Scholar
- van Wijk, J.J., Ray tracing objects defined by sweeping a sphere, in: K. Bo and H.A. Tucker (eds), proc. Eurographics 84, 73–82.Google Scholar
- Jansen, F.W., A CSG list priority hidden surface algorithm, to appear in proc. Eurographics85.Google Scholar
- Bronsvoort, W.F., Wijk, J.J. van, Jansen, F.W., Two methods for improving the efficiency of ray casting in solid modelling, CAD 16(1984)1, 51–55.Google Scholar
- Brooks, J. et al., An extension of the combinatorial geometry techniques for modeling vegetation and terrain features. MAGI Inc. NTIS AD-782–883. June 1974.Google Scholar
- Woodwark, J.R., Quinlan, K.M., Reducing the effect of complexity on volume model evaluation, CAD 14(1982)2, 89–95.Google Scholar
- Tamminen, M., The EXCELL method for efficient geometric access to data, Thesis, Acta Polytechnica Scandinavica, Mathematics and Computer Science Series no.34, Helsinki, 1981.Google Scholar
- Tamminen, M., Karonen, O., Mantyla, M., Ray-casting and block model conversion using a spatial index, CAD 16(1984)4, 203–208.Google Scholar
- Glassner, A.S., Space subdivision for fast ray tracing, IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications 4(1984)10, 15–22.Google Scholar