Intermediate data structures for display algorithms
This paper describes two algorithms and implicit data structures to display 3D scenes composed of polygons on a raster device. Both algorithms are based on the so-called painter’s technique; the first one uses a depthsort algorithm for the visible surface calculation a la Newell, Newell, and Sancha ([l]), the other one uses a priority tree as proposed by Fuchs, Kedem, and Naylor ().
Both algorithms were designed to be used in interactive applications. In order to update an image on the screen as fast as possible and to prevent the recomputation of the whole image after a change in the scene has occurred, an intermediate representation of the scene is needed. This intermediate representation might also be of use in detecting which polygon is meant when a pixel on the screen is pointed at.
For both display algorithms some intermediate representations will be considered, as well as the implications of alterations in the scene upon both these representations and their display.
KeywordsIntermediate Representation Plane Equation Binary Space Partitioning Screen Content Item Buffer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Newell, M.E., R.G Newell, and T.L. Sancha, A Solution to the Hidden Surface Problem, Proc. ACM National Conference (1972), pp. 443–448.Google Scholar
- Fuchs, Henry, Zvi M. Kedem, and Bruce F. Naylor, On Visible Surface Generation by a priori Tree Structures, Proc. Siggraph 80, in: ACM Comp. Graphics, 14, 3 (July 1980), pp.124–133.Google Scholar
- Peters, F.J., L.R.A. Kessener, and M.L.P. van Lierop, Language extensions to study data structures for raster graphics, Dept. of Mathematics and Computing Science, Eindhoven University of Technology, internal report.Google Scholar
- Teunissen, W.J.M, and J. v.d. Bos, A Model for Raster Graphics Language Primitives, Data Structures for Raster Graphics; Proceedings of a Workshop, Eurographic Seminar Series, Springer Verlag, 1985.Google Scholar
- [51.ten Hagen, P.J.W., and C.G. Trienekens, Pattern Representation, Data Structures for Raster Graphics; Proceedings of a Workshop, Eurographic Seminar Series, Springer Verlag, 1985.Google Scholar