Quasielastic Neutron Scattering Study of Fast Diffusion of Co in β-Zr
As a common feature,group IVb elements — Zr, Ti, Hf — exhibit a martensitic phase transition from the closed packed hcp structure (stable at low temperature) to the more open bcc structure. Diffusion properties in these metals are dominated by this phase transition. For instance the Zr self-diffusion increases by five orders of magnitude at the phase transition at about 840°C. A similar behaviour is known for most of the metal impurities in Zr of which the diffusivities are in the same order of magnitude as for Zr self-diffusion.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Tendier, E. Santos, J. Abri ato and C.F. Varotto in “Thermodynamics of Nuclear Metals”, Vol. 2, IAEA-SM-190/75, Vienna (1975) p. 71Google Scholar
- 2.M. Hansen and K.L. Anderko, “Constitution of Binary Alloys”, McGraw-Hill, New York, (1958) and supplementsGoogle Scholar
- 3.G. Vogl and W. Petry in “Festkörperprobleme” (Advances in Solid State Physics), Vol. XXV, P. Grosse (ed.), Vieweg, Braunschweig (1985) p. 655Google Scholar
- 4.R. Stehr, Diplomarbeit, Freie Universität Berlin (1983) unpublished; Y. Yoshida, W. Petry, R. Stehr, K.-H. Steinmetz, W. Miekeley and G. Vogl, to be publishedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Ch. Herzig and H. Eckseler, Z. Metallkunde 70, 215 (1979)Google Scholar
- 10.W. Petry, G. Vogl, A. Heidemann, J.H. Steinmetz, to be publishedGoogle Scholar