Structural Measures for Runoff Quality Management
As municipal wastewater treatment is upgraded, discharges of urban stormwater and combined sewer overflows are emerging as significant sources of surface water pollution. If the pollution aspect of urban runoff is considered in the planning of stormwater systems, quality management can often be incorporated in the flood control strategies. However, in many cases we must deal with pollution discharges from existing sewer systems. The possibilities of quality management in such cases will be heavily restricted, especially in densely populated areas where it sometimes can be very hard to find cost-effective solutions to the pollution problem.
KeywordsRemoval Efficiency Storage Facility Open Pond Settling Characteristic Combine Sewer Overflow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.De Groot William (ed.) Stormwater Detention Facilities. Proceedings of an ASCE conference at New England College, New Hampshire, August 2–6, 1982.Google Scholar
- 2.Balmer, Peterr Malmqvistf Per-Arne, Sjobergr Anders (ed.) Urban Storm Drainage. Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Urban Storm Drainage, Chalmers University, Sweden, June 4–8, 1984.Google Scholar
- 3.Stahre, Peter. Flow Equalization in Sewer Systems. Design Manual. Swedish Council for Building Research. Report Tl3:19 81 (In Swedish).Google Scholar
- 4.American Public Works Association. Urban Stormwater Management. Special Report No. 49, 1981.Google Scholar
- 5.Field, Richard. The USEPA Office of Research and Development°s View of Combined Sewer Overflow Control. Third International Urban Storm Drainage Conference, Sweden, 1984.Google Scholar
- 6.Urbonas, Ben. Summary of Findings by ASCE Task Committee on Detention Outlets. Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Urban Storm Drainage, Sweden, 1984.Google Scholar
- 7.Knott, G.E. and Taylor, A.J. The Use of Detention Tanks for Flow Attenuation: A Review of Current Practice. Water Research Centre. External Report No. 171E, 1985.Google Scholar