Physical Exchange and the Dynamics of Phytoplankton in Scottish Sea-Lochs
Freshwater inflows and salinity distributions were used with a single-box model to estimate the effects of exchange on the dynamics of phytoplankton populations in 5 Scottish fjordic sea-lochs. Results suggest that although growth can substantially exceed losses within a loch, these processes are in most cases in rough balance, with little net export of primary production.
KeywordsExchange Rate Phytoplankton Biomass Freshwater Inflow Small Basin Tidal Exchange
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bowden, K.F. 1967. Circulation and diffusion. In Lauff, G.H., Ed., Estuaries, American Association for the Advancement of Science, Washington, D.C., 83, 15–36.Google Scholar
- Edwards, A. & Edelsten, D.J. 1976b. Marine fish cages - the physical environment. Proc. R. Soc. Edinb., sect. B. 75, 207–221.Google Scholar
- Matthews, J.B.L. & Heimdal, B.R. 1980. Pelagic productivity and food chains in fjord systems. In Freeland, H.J. Farmer, D.M. & Levings, C.D., Eds., Fjord Oceanography, Plenum Press, New York, 377–398.Google Scholar
- Officer, C.B. 1976. Physical Oceanography of Estuaries John Wiley & Sons, New York, 465 pp.Google Scholar
- Raine, R. & Tett, P. 1984. The autumn decrease of phytoplankton in Loch Creran, Sept-Dec 1983. Scott. Mar. Biol. Assoc. Internal Rep., 106, 84 pp.Google Scholar
- Saelen, O.D. 1967. Some features of the hydrography of Norwegian fjords. In Lauff, G.H., Ed., Estuaries American Association for the advancement of Science, Washington, D.C. 83, 15–36.Google Scholar
- Tett, P., Drysdale, M. & Shaw, J. 1981. Phytoplankton in Loch Creran during 1979 and its effect on the rearing of oyster larvae. Scott. Mar. Biol. Assoc. Internal Rep., 52, 77 pp.Google Scholar
- Tett, P. & Grantham, B. 1980. Variability in sea-loch phytoplankton. In Freeland, H.J., Farmer, D.M. & Levings, C.D., Eds., Fjord Oceanography., Plenum Pess, New York, 435–438.Google Scholar
- Tyler, I.D. 1983. A carbon budget for Creran, a Scottish sea loch. PhD thesis, University of Strathclyde, Scotland, 2 02 pp.Google Scholar
- Tyler, I.D., Grantham, B., MacNaughton, E. & Tett, P. 1984. Salinity and temperature profiles in Loch Creran, 1978. Scott. Mar. Biol. Assoc. Internal Rep., 84, 133 pp.Google Scholar
- Wood, B.J.B., Tett, P.B. & Edwards, A. 1973. An introduction to the phytoplankton, primary production and relevant hydrography of Loch Etive. J. Ecol., 61.Google Scholar