Effect of light on gas exchange parameters of sun and shade adapted leaves of Ceratonia siliqua, Coffea arabica and Malus domestica
Wong et al. (1978, 1979) hypothesized that leaf photosynthesis and stomatal conductance are regulated in such a manner that Ci remains fairly constant despite changes in environmental conditions (see Beyschlag et al. in this volume). Nevertheless, studies in which carbon dioxide in the external air (Ca) and consequently carbon dioxide concentration in the mesophyll intercellular spaces (Ci) are varied, help determine the manner in which mesophyll photosynthetic activity, in large part determined by ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase activity, affects photosynthetic CO2 uptake. While measurements of Ci are critical, only indirect methods are available to accomplish them, and it is controversial whether the molar concentration of carbon in solution (Ku and Edwards 1977) or the equilibrium partial pressure in the air space is the appropriate measure of CO2 available for photosynthesis. In the present work, changes in photosynthetic activity of the leaf mesophyll were related to Ci, calculated from stomatal diffusion resistance, the rate of net photosynthetic CO2 flux and Ca (using volume fraction as concentration units, µl 1−1).
KeywordsPhotosynthetic Capacity Coffee Plant Full Sunlight Malus Domestica Shade Leave
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Badger MR, Collatz GJ (1977) Studies on the kinetic mechanism of ribulose-1.5- bisphosphate carboxylase and oxygenase reactions with particular reference to the effect of temperature on kinetic parameters. Carnegie Ins Washington Yearb 76: 355–361Google Scholar
- Beyschlag W (1984) Photosynthese und Wasserhaushalt von Arbutus unedo im Jahreslauf am Freilandstandort in Portugal. PhD Thesis, University WürzburgGoogle Scholar
- Farquhar GD, von Caemmerer S, Nobel PS, Osmond CB, Ziegler H (eds), Encyclopedia of Plant Physiology, NS vol 12B: Physiology Plant Ecology II. Springer, Berlin-Heidelberg-New York-Tokyo pp 549–587Google Scholar
- Nunes MA, Bierhuizen JF, Ploegman C (1968) Studies on productivity of coffee. I. Effect of light, temperature and CO2 concentration on photosynthesis of Coffea arabica. Acta Bot Neerl 17 (2): 93–102Google Scholar
- Rhizopoulou S, Nunes MA (1981) Some adaptative photosynthetic characteristics of a sun plant, Ceratonia siliqua and a shade plant (Coffea arabica). In: Margaris NS, Mooney HA (eds) Components of Productivity of Mediterranean Climate Regions. Basic and Applied Aspects. DRW Junk Publishers, The Hague p 85CrossRefGoogle Scholar